What's new

Anybody have tried Radeon 8500 with Pj?

Batmanx

Hi, I'm a little concerned changing my video card, cause I'd really like to have no problems running pj. Anybody have a 8500 here, how is it with the marvellous emu?
:pj64:

THE AUTHORITY

WHOA!!!!!!

hell i dunno about other folks man, but ATI just is icky to me...i've used their cards, and a GeForce2 64mb for $99 beats the 8500 anyday in my book....nVIDIA runs like gangbusters (gangbusters...what the hell) on my computer...only problem is finding XP drivers for nVIDIA....stuck running with the ones I have...(the drivers that i loaded a day ago crapped on my computer)...all in all i'd say go with nVIDIA if you can...GeForce...

EXCELSIOR

N-Rage

uh a GTS beatin a R8500 :D , go make ur homework

seriously i cant tell about a R8500(dont have 1), but ATIs drivers arent near that bad as the rumours ppl like the above spread. Got zero probs since i got my Radeon a year ago and im certain the R8500 wont dissapoint either.

gra

The RADEON 8500 is DX8.1

it has more features than GeForce 3 Ti500
and is equal(for now) in speed
and it's cheaper than the Ti500

And ATI's drivers r much better now. go to www.rage3d.com forums and ask there.

THE AUTHORITY

You know, I've dealt with both ATI, and GeForce - and I have had more headaches messing around with ATI's drivers than I have with any 3rd party software I've had (other than my eMACHINE - less said the better). I had the misfortune of installing XP drivers for an ATI Radeon and got a nice little computer meltdown for my troubles. Thank you ATI. I've YET to run into any problems with my GeForce, and running the N64 it usually keeps me at 50-60 fps - I'd be interested in what others are running under their cards and system...

EXCELSIOR

Acorn

My exp. with ATI has been the same - they are a headache. Although their new cards are rated to be faster - this has little bearing on emulation. Anything from a tnt2 up seems to run perfectly (except ATI/voodoo cards.. which mess up textures, crash, and don't work well in XP).

Yes, the ATI card may have more features but if ATI acts like it normally does, it will stop releasing drivers for this card as soon as its next one comes out. Nvidia supports all of its cards. And a passable Nvidia card can be bought for much less than a "passable" ATI card.

Advertisment:
So, for less headaches and easier access to help buy Nvidia!

:pj64: