What's new

ff7/8 psx version on pc(emulated)

thine_impalor

Local spammer
rite i searched HIGH and LOW for the PC versions of ff8 and 7 and i couldn't find them..so i was wondering if ANY of u guys managed to FINISH the PSX versions of ff8/7 on any psx emulator without any MAJOR problems?????? is it risky buying ff8/7 psx to emulate and play on the pc??

Trotterwatch

Well one thing is that the Final Fantasy 8 (PAL) needs a patch applying before it wil even load up, but apart from that I have heard many times that it is fully playable (in EPSXE). I shall have to patch my PAL copy up, to see it for myself though.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
ff8 sucks, so i wouldn't even bother to get it...
ff7...can't u find a pc-version? i haven't played it on psx, but i have it on pc, though. this game's good.

zorbid

If I remember well, ff7 PC crashes under XP at some point, making it impossible to complete.

OP
thine_impalor

thine_impalor

Local spammer
trotterwatch, if u DO emulate it successfully, PLZ tell me!! If i buy i'll b getting the PAL version not NTSC....
i WONDER y ppl who like ff7,9 DON'T like ff8 and ppl who like ff8 DON'T like ff7/9...
(like doom for the 1st case, i GUESS u like ff9 as well..., and my cousin in the 2nd case)...
I have windows me, i don't think i'll b upgrading to xp soon, and no i CAN'T find ff7/8 pc.....
my cuz tells me to just buy a psx and be done with it but my parents won't allow a console in the house:(damn it will b good to get outta this house...

OP
thine_impalor

thine_impalor

Local spammer
trotterwatch, if u DO emulate it successfully, PLZ tell me!! If i buy i'll b getting the PAL version not NTSC....
i WONDER y ppl who like ff7,9 DON'T like ff8 and ppl who like ff8 DON'T like ff7/9...
(like doom for the 1st case, i GUESS u like ff9 as well..., and my cousin in the 2nd case)...
I have windows me, i don't think i'll b upgrading to xp soon, and no i CAN'T find ff7/8 pc.....
my cuz tells me to just buy a psx and be done with it but my parents won't allow a console in the house:(damn it will b good to get outta this house...
ePSXe IS the best PSX emulator rite????

Eagle

aka Alshain
zorbid said:
If I remember well, ff7 PC crashes under XP at some point, making it impossible to complete.

No it doesn't. Must be your computer only.
And FF8 is an awesome game if you want a complicated hard game. If you want everything to be done for you like a little baby then get FF9.

Trotterwatch

I loved both FF7 + 8 plus all the others in the series that I have played. The card game alone makes number 8 worth it in my opinion :) When you get the PAL version of 8, you will need to apply something called a PPF patch to it, which will then allow the game to work.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
I've played the NTSC version of FF8 psx with epsxe all the way through the game.. The Pal versions may require a patch or they may not since the advancement of sub channel reading in the newest epsxe and the cd rom plugins...

YOu can try going to www.ngemu.com boards for your problems with emulated psx games.. But FF8 is fully playable with epsxe..

Last edited:
OP
thine_impalor

thine_impalor

Local spammer
uhhh...

The Pal versions may require a patch, but they may not since the advancement of sub channel reading in the newest epsxe and the cd rom plugins...
In english please:plain:don't understand what ur saying:D
how is ff9 easier than 8??my cuz told me that the ff8 sotry is ummm...much more MOVING and better although its slow to start off...rite so i'll b buying the PAL versions of ff7/8 as soon as possible...

Trotterwatch

I used the plugins with Sub Channel reading, but FF8 would always lock up at certain parts - perhaps that was due to dirt on the CD or something though - or a subpar CD drive.

I'll have a check later hopefully.

Cyberman

Re: uhhh...

thine_impalor said:
how is ff9 easier than 8??my cuz told me that the ff8 sotry is ummm...much more MOVING and better although its slow to start off...rite so i'll b buying the PAL versions of ff7/8 as soon as possible...
FF9 was cake.

Anyhow DON'T GET THE PAL Versions.. you'll be giving yourself serious headaches. Just buy the North American release NTSC versions it will run just dandy emulated. ALL PAL versions have subchannel encoding to prevent copying. Since most CD-ROMs do NOT read subchannel data well with the EIDE interface commands this will make you successfully running FF7 or FF8 damn near impossible.

The NTSC NA doesn't have the subchannel copy protection. Thus it runs just PEACHY with no problems.

And it won't make a difference in how the game looks.

Cyb

PS
FF8 is REALLY good but can be challenging at times. :) It's not everyones cup of tea.. basically if you like deep plots with complex outcomes.. then you'll love it. If you want an easy walk through with cool CGI's well it has the CGI's ;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Re: uhhh...

thine_impalor said:

Well, Final Fantasy 8 hints at the story line. There are many things hidden in the plot that you may not see the first time and many that you may not see at all if your not specifically looking for them. The battle system is more complicated. It uses a never before used "Junctioning System" that was used for FF8 alone and never used again so far (most likely never again). With the juctioning system you can junction different types of magic to different types of skills and depending on how much of that magic you have it will increase the attribute. Also there is no MP in FF8, you use a draw system so you have a certain amount of times you can cast the magic. You draw or pull magic from the enemies you fight, so you can have 3 Thunders and 2 Fires and you can cast 3 Thunders and 2 Fires, where as previously you would have 50MP and each spell would cost 10MP so you can cast 5 Thunders or 4 Thunders and 1 Fire or 3 Thunders and 2 Fires etc etc etc. Summons are called Guardian Forces in FF8 they are the basis for the entire game (much like materia in FF7), only Guardian Forces (GFs) control everything here. Without them your characters can't even do simple things like draw/cast magic, use items and other various special skills during battle. Each GF has abilities that it learns. When the GF has learned the ability through EXP points, then your character can use them. Without a GF a character has one option and that is to use physical attack. So you see the game is dependant on the summon creatures even if your not summoning them in battles you have to have them. The whole system is very complicated to learn. There are in-game tutorials but it still takes a while to get used to it all. Its more complicated than any of the traditional (FF4, FF5, FF6, FF9) styles and even more complicated than the FF7 materia style. I've never played FF10 so I'm waiting to see if the sphere system it has can compare.

Anyway, about finding those PC versions. I can't say anything specific here but PM me and we'll *cough* *cough* talk *hack* *hack*.

OP
thine_impalor

thine_impalor

Local spammer
i played the demo tho'

i played the pc demo of ff8, it didn't have MUCH, anyway, the final battle in the demo was against some trex like dinosaur????anyway, it took 10 yrs to beat, and they EXPLAINED the junctioning system in the beginning but i didn't understnad it, is this trex SUPPOSED 2 b hard or i just didn't play the game rite? i used the GFs that Squall and uhhh..quistis(i think that was her name) had, and funny i DID notice there was no MP i just thought u could keep using magic forever???
Cyb, i'll have to IMPORT NTSC versions:( i think if i import it would b cheaper for me to get a psx and b done with it(although im NOT allowed to buy game consoles:( )
trotterwatch, does it lock up at the same place over and over again that u can't continue unless u get a Dexdrive save or something?? ok, so i'll keep my plans on standby for the moment.....

Trotterwatch

It only locks up for me when I tried to patch it on the fly (it's an option in one of the plugins). If you rip the CD to your HD though, and apply the correct PPF patch, then from what I know the game should work perfectly.

I'll try it later, as I don't have work tomorrow.

OP
thine_impalor

thine_impalor

Local spammer
where can i get the right patch?? oh yeah, and aren;t there FOUR cds?? thanx for the help trotterwatch:)
tell me the results if u DO test it tommorow.....

Anchel

The Xpaniard
Eagle said:
zorbid said:

And FF8 is an awesome game if you want a complicated hard game. If you want everything to be done for you like a little baby then get FF9.

Talking about FF9...... I can't manage to make it work with EPSXE. Somehow, it doesn't even run! Can anybody help me?:cry:

Cyberman

Anchel said:
Eagle said:
zorbid said:

Talking about FF9...... I can't manage to make it work with EPSXE. Somehow, it doesn't even run! Can anybody help me?:cry:

Well tell us what you are using to run it. FF9 requires some small trickes to get operating correctly but it does run.

As for what you are using..
need
OS
emulator (ePSXe 1.5.0/1.5.1/1.52)
plugins
gpu (Petes etc) if you have petes or lewpies plugin be sure to click the copy settings to clip board and include them in your post.
Sound
CD
etc.

Cyb

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
If you're trying to play the pal-version, you need to patch it before it will run. I can't remember where to get the patch, though. It was for such a long time ago i got it.