What's new

Freak'n ATA133 controller won't detect my hd, please read

Josep

eyerun4phun
WEll, after jacking around with this for an hour or so, i can't get my maxtor 80gig 7200rpm ATA133 hard drive to work. When i start up, my built in controller card for raid and ata133 DOES detect my Hard drive(abit kr7a-raid) But when i start up windows it does not show up in windows, I just updated the controller and still nothing:( I'm thinking about updating the bios, but i haven't done it b4, and i want to make sure i do it right, BUT i really don't want to do that, at least yet, please help;)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
just updated to the latest bios;) nothing different though:( I haven't fdisked it since i just updated the bios, but i don't know if that would make a difference, i did before i updated the bios, well, i'll try fdisking right now;) brb;)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
wait!! it says its there!!! wtf?! i sure as hell can't access it through my computer!!:(

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, it sounds like you forgot something, like partitioning, or formating a new partition. If Windows recognizes the drive but can't access it then thats probably what it is.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
well, i got it setup, but definitly not the way i wanted it, I had to hook up the hard drive where there isn't ata133 support on my motherboard:( I couldn't get anything to detect my hd when i would try to format or partition it, fdisk would just lock up if i tried setting the active drive:( o well, i got 80gigs, just not ata133, only ata100

Eagle

aka Alshain
That shouldn't happen unless you have the wrong setup in the bios for the drive. Possibly you had it set to Normal or Large instead of LBA?

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
I also have the same motherboard and same hard drive.. It's working fine in my ata133 ide controller.. Maybe you didn't install the correct highpoint raid controller? I sorta remember something similar happening to my computer when I installed winxp.. Winxp doesn't have the correct highpoint raid controller drivers.. YOu need to get the correct one for the abit KR7a 133...

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
i did download the newest version, excluding the beta ones, 2.31 i believe, didn't make a diff, when i started up, the raid/ata133 bios detected just fine, it knows its there, its just winxp still doesn't do anything about it:( like, i can't see it in winxp, i have to connect to my ghetto ata100 instead:( BTW is it possible to slave a ata100 to the ata133 off of the raid/ata133 controller on my motherboard?? o yea, you lost me eagle, yes i know almost every bios is different, but around what type of area would i find that option?;)