What's new

Speed?

mogwai

No, no, this is not to tell everyone that Nemu runs slow on my PC (Which it does...but thats not the point) but to ask whether the new Nemu might also have improved speed to go with that compatibility?I'm still stuck using Corn as my main N64 emu due to speed issues, heheh.

Seta-San

System?

Please list your system so we can tell if it's too horrible to play at a good speed. Also please update your drivers if possible. Drivers can have *Significant* impact on your speed. If you do all that and it still doesn't run at full speed try to disable sound.

OP
M

mogwai

Oh... ^^;; I knew I had done something wrong.My current system is a 533mhz Celeron with 128 MB of ram, an Intel i870 video card (16 MB, I believe). My PC runs Impact and System 11 roms at good speed, but a little choppy...But with Nemu and almost all N64 emus besides Corn, it gives me bad speed.I'm planning on upgrading to a 833 mhz processor, if possible...but that won't be for a while, since my family just moved and we're tight for money

OP
M

mogwai

Ack..it's not an i870 video card, it was an 810.Sorry, got confused long ago by an UnrealTournament install screen ^^;

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
833Mhz? Hmm... I don't know how far that'll go. My AMD Athlon 2100+ still gets occasional slowdowns in Banjo-Kazooie. Make sure whatever you get is an AMD. They're both cheaper and faster than Intels. Also, keep away from integrated graphics. Get a GeForce2 MX instead. Or some kind of ATI Radeon (they're sure to get the drivers right someday). As for sound, an integrated card may be OK to save money (if you're not too bothered about sound quality).

OP
M

mogwai

Geforce....That's the type of card I want ^^ Preferably a Geforce 4, but thats merely a dream for now.As for sound, I like what I got.I'll try to get AMD, but I dunno if that'll work with my mtoherboard.I dunno what it looks like inside my computer, but my stepfather says it can only be upgraded to an 833 Mhz tops.But he does have a reputation for lying..Anyways, I updated my drivers, and now I get a constant rate of around 30 FPS in Mario Kart and Mario 64...But now all 2D objects such as the racers in Mario Kart and the hand in Mario 64 have boxes around then varying in color.I have not tried Star Fox 64 on it yet, however.In any case...Anyone got a temporary remedy for my small box problem?It'll be quite unlikely for me to get an upgrade to my computer until Christmas, unless I get off my ass and get a job ^^;

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
Oh, only upgrading the CPU? Eww... you might want to save up until you can replace the motherboard as well.

OP
M

mogwai

Yea, I probably should..Although if I was gonna go that far, I'd save up even more and get a whole new system..try and get a cutting edge one, y'know?And then I can replace the HD in my old system with a 7 gig HD, put my current hard drive in my new system as a secondary one, and use the old computer for a MAME cabinet..buyt thats a different story ^^ Ineeda win the lottery or somethin'm, but I doubt I will.I'm only 14, you know ^^;

trust me as long as you have a celeron and that motherboard nemu isnt going to like you... it hates you and deservedley so... i was once lost... 400mhz celeron, i810, 64mb of ram, and i also prattled on about corn being my saviour, oh yes... but then i saw the green lights of AMD, remarkabley cheap and perform like athletes on gatorade...

in other words you've no chance of gettin a new nemu thats gonna kick ass on that machine, i think pj64 and 1964 have prooven that nemu about hit the mark for high compaibility emulators speed's. roughly 800mhz is a minimum, and anything of 1ghz is welcome if you wanna get the best out of these things :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
mogwai said:
Yea, I probably should..Although if I was gonna go that far, I'd save up even more and get a whole new system..try and get a cutting edge one, y'know?And then I can replace the HD in my old system with a 7 gig HD, put my current hard drive in my new system as a secondary one, and use the old computer for a MAME cabinet..buyt thats a different story ^^ Ineeda win the lottery or somethin'm, but I doubt I will.I'm only 14, you know ^^;
It's a shame that you have such a bad system. Anyway, since u have a celeron, u need to switch motherboard to get an amd processor. As for gfx, geforce2 or 3 ti200 can be gotten very cheap.

A last hint that i like is to overclock that little processor of urs if u can. there's many tutorials on the web how to do so.