What's new

help with cpu temperature

garboy

Some One
hey...i got a new cpu fan for my cpu and i put it on and my computer wouldnt start...so i messed with the cpu fan and forgot to plug it back in when i turned it on...so it fried it...i bought a new cpu(1.47ghz amd athlonxp)and i installed it and i checked my cpu temperature and it said 90C...it that alright?? my cpu is clocked at 1.1ghz right now...but before when i had on my other fan on my other cpu the temp. would only go to 65-70C when clocked at 1.1ghz...can someone help??

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well that all depends. AMD processors run hotter than Intel, so if your old processor was Intel then thats why it seems hotter. Thats perfectly normal, my brothers Athlon 1.2 Ghz runs almost 40 degrees over what my Intel 1 Ghz normally runs at. If your using a fan designed for a processor other than an Althon XP then yes, you need to use the AMD fan. The fans are usually designed to fit on one type of processor (ie, Socket 7, Slot 1, Slot A, Socket 370, etc. etc.) YOu can rig them to fit on other processors, but also you need to make sure the fan runs at a high enough RPM and pushes enough air to cool a higher processor.

BTW, Belated regrets to your deceased processor, but your not alone. I once fried a motherboard because I forgot to unplug the machine before installing a new floppy. I ended up ramming an unused plug from the power supply directly into a solder point on the board and fried it completly.

OP
G

garboy

Some One
so if i use my AMD fan that came with my AthlonXP...it should cool fine? And do you think my computer kept freezing before and it freezes when i stick a disc in my cdrom drive because i need to update the chipset drivers?

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
You'll want the temperature to go way below 90C, that is AMD's "It'll work, but not for long" maximum temperature. It's recommended to be kept well below 60C when idle, and optimally not even passing 60C at 100% CPU usage.

To improve cooling, I got a proven CPU cooler (This Cooler Master does a good job for the £15 I spent) and 2 system fans. One was placed at the front for intake, the other at the back near the CPU for exhaust. I leave the case open anyway, since when I have to fiddle with the cable connections I have to ensure that cards don't pop out of their slots and lockup the machine ;)

As one final note, make sure the CPU sensor hasn't broken. My system temperature is usually 25-35C, but my CPU temperature is always stated as 127C, due to a cheap/broken sensor.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Now if your looking for a new cooler fan, Thermaltake has got to be the best in the business. I've never heard anyone argue that they had any sort of problem with them. They were the first to come up with their "Orb" design (many made similar copies later) but, they were always the best. www.thermaltake.com

Eagle

aka Alshain
EddyB43 said:

To improve cooling, I got a proven CPU cooler (This Cooler Master does a good job for the £15 I spent) and 2 system fans. One was placed at the front for intake, the other at the back near the CPU for exhaust. I leave the case open anyway, since when I have to fiddle with the cable connections I have to ensure that cards don't pop out of their slots and lockup the machine ;)

Did you know if you leave your side pannel off, then the chasis fans do absolutely nothing. The whole point of them is to pull air in the front and push it out the back making a nice circulation. If you leave the side off it pulls air in the front pushes it out the side. Pulls air in the side and pushes it out the back. It probably doesn't add any cooling that way.

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
BORN TO PLAY™

Eagle said:

Did you know if you leave your side pannel off, then the chasis fans do absolutely nothing. The whole point of them is to pull air in the front and push it out the back making a nice circulation. If you leave the side off it pulls air in the front pushes it out the side. Pulls air in the side and pushes it out the back. It probably doesn't add any cooling that way.

Very true. In order for chassis fans to work you need to have your case closed so it can pull a good airflow.

Here's a screenshot of the new server... it's a AMD AthlonXP 2100+ running at 1733Mhz, with a CoolerMaster cooler on it. As you can see, it's pretty cool.

Mind you, this is a 8cm high case so there's virtually no room for a good airflow... however, I got 2 enermax fans blowing full blast from side to side, taking out all the hot air.

And running it at 90 degrees is NOT good...

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
That too, but also saying that in such a small box you can keep your CPU pretty cool. And this is a 2100+, mind you, which should get -really- hot. So any midi/bigtower should be able to get it this cool too.

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
garboy said:
but i already have 3 cpu fans: one that was recommended for my cpu,one that came with my amd athlonxp 1700, and one i bought from a store... should i get this fan if my amd fan doesnt cool that good? http://www.xpcgear.com/volcano7.html

Yes, copper is good for a heatsink. Also, I suggest using silver compound instead of the white grease you get with coolers.

It's about 5 bucks and you can do 30 CPUs with it. Spread it out evenly over the core (with a rounded piece of plastic) and put the cooler on it.

OP
G

garboy

Some One
ok...should i just put the thermal grease over the little brown patch on the bottom of the heatsink?

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
BORN TO PLAY™

garboy said:

very good. You put the compound on the CPU core.. just a little bit, and then even it out with something soft (so you don't damage your CPU... read again: BE VERY CAREFULL... you need about 1/5th of a millimeter of it... almost nothing. Try to cover your entire core.

Also, if the heatsink has a patch or compound on it... wipe/tear it off. Clean the heatsink off, and put it on the CPU which you just put compound on.

The core, btw, is the small little square that holds 'AMD Athlon' on it. Be sure to clean this too (CAREFULLY) before putting the silver on.

Good luck!