What's new

Usual problem emulatin Evangelion 64

MADrigal

G&W programmer
Just a quick note to point all programmers to this thread:

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?threadid=5670

where we're discussing about a possible solution to emulate correctly Evangelion 64 and Resident Evil 2.

Some screenshots are available too!

There's also a 27-pages thread at Emuita's forum (all in Italian). Find a link to it in the thread above.

Rice

Emulator Developer
neoak

It is a plugin issue, not much to do with PJ64's memory access worning. It needs more 2D sprite supporting.

It is supported better now, but still need better combiner/blender support, so just wait for the next release.

btw, is this a great game to catch so much attention?

Pauncho

ive never played the game b4, but im guessin people might wanna play the game because they like the anime the game is based upon

Rice

Emulator Developer
Neoak, that memory is PI_BSD_DOM1_PWD_REG, it is usually not used in games, so PJ64 gives you a warning and do nothing special with it, but it is emulated. 1964 just doesn't give warning. It could be used by some de/compression algorithms (read from / write to it, just like a piece of regular memory, who cares), but the problem is still with plugin because plugins do not support some of the ucodes.

These ucodes are supported now in my unofficial D3D, so this game is running better.

OP
MADrigal

MADrigal

G&W programmer
STUNNED!

Rice, I'm *STUNNED* at seeing those pics, since me and half of the people on my N64 message board have spent around one year waiting for that game to be correctly emulated!!!

Should we just wait for your next plugin release or does it also need the forthcoming 0.8.4 of 1964? ...or could we use it on 0.8.3c ?

PS: yes, it's a long awaited game since it's MUCH similar to the anime it's based upon. AFAIK it replicates the whole TV-series, also including a few unreleased FMVs

Evrain

The Forbidden One
The reasons?

The main reason of the great request about that game is to be referred to two things: the first is the abnormous success of the original manga/anime, the game folllows the entire series plus the unreleased (at least here in Italy) film, so the army of fans out there loves that ROM; the second is probably the graphics and the fact that the gameplay changes in almost every mission.
There is also another convinction that if this game is emulated, also RE2 will be, but I on't know if this is true or false.
This is enough, in my opinion.
Evrain

Last edited:

sk8bloke22

roll for life
resident evil 2 is sorta emulated, try it out on pj64 with jabo's 1.4 (or other emus) and the game works but isnt yet playable. u get access to the title screen, but ingame only the characters look ok. anyway, the fmvs simply dont work yet, but that doesnt stop the game from working. if NeonGenesisEVangeleon is emulated (as shown above) theres nothing to say that the fmvs dont work at all.

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Since the technology of Resident Evil is "3D model in a 2D pre-rendered environment", probably the fondals aren't visible for a similar (if not the same) problem. I don't know what's with the FMVs, sinche I only looked at the first zones and then returned to the PC version ^^
Evrain

sk8bloke22

roll for life
yeh, but as rice said, the 2d issue is just to do with the plugin's handling of 2d and im guessing in the case of RE2 the ucode. plus, as far as im aware, none of the authors hav focused on it too much, so its quite understandable that such gfx issues exist. if neon genesis evangeleon has the same ucode as re2, then yeh it would fix things.

JuGz

Heavy Metal Master
Yeah Rice, I hope you'll keep working on RE2 too, and btw when will 1964 0.8.4 be released?
I can't wait any longer :cry:

Evrain

The Forbidden One
As usual, it'll be out when it's ready!!!
Btw, I'm impatient too, but I'm just drinkin' less coffee to calm down ^_--
Evrain