What's new

Question regarding the name of nemu's newest version

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
may sound silly but if the next version of nemu has been in the works for sometime, well i was wondering would it make sense to call it 0.8.... shouldn't it be called 1.0 or something... in any case just wondering :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: :bunny: ;) (note: no rabbits where harmed in the typing of this post :plain2: ) :nemu:

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
a version such as 1.0 would mean its a complete build, complete.

Even though some of the emulators are at version say... 1.5 doesn't mean they are complete builds, they are always a WIP. In an emulator you can always improve something, surpassing what the actual console can do is a massive achevement :)

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
Just a question...(Sorry off topic) But, has an emulator EVER, for any system, actually surpassed a console?

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Dabba_Deh said:
Just a question...(Sorry off topic) But, has an emulator EVER, for any system, actually surpassed a console?

this is not a question about emulators, it's a question about how you define "surpassed" :p

DeadRabbit

Emutalk Janitor
I would have thought that for an emulator to have "surpassed" a console, it would have to be able to emulate every game released perfectly, and offer features not available on the console.

Basically no,

but I guess the closest there is at present would have to be the snes/megadrive emulators.

BladeX

To be honest I feel PJ 1.4 already surpassed the N64 - I know this sounds silly but the high res that most games have does it for me!!!

Tesla-Guy

No, you don't sound silly. Dead Rabbit, have you tried Snes9x? First time i tried the options i was lost in there ;) this emulator is like a more powerful console that can't run some games though

yogaman

Banned
znes seems to be even better than snes9x - definitely better than the console!! (oh why the hell are we posting this on the nemu board :( - well, since there's nothing better to post here ;) )

DeadRabbit

Emutalk Janitor
BladeX said:
To be honest I feel PJ 1.4 already surpassed the N64 - I know this sounds silly but the high res that most games have does it for me!!!

No, not at all Blade, I can see why you feel this way.

It is awesome that the games look so much better on an emulator (well the ones that run correctly anyway).

There is one point though that an emulator could never surpass a console on. And that is that EVERYBODY who owns an N64, P.S., or whatever, all play the games at the same correct speed. As opposed to some people with high-spec machines running the game properly , and those (like me ;) , running it at a lesser rate.

also there is no better graphics card or sound card, just the same for everyone.

And I guess therein lies the beauty of the original console.

:)

DeadRabbit

Emutalk Janitor
Tri-Force said:
i LOVE that name. let's make ALL the rabbits DIE!!!!

YES, KILL EVERY ONE OF THEM.

And dogs too until they learn to shit in toilets and not all over the streets.

In fact we could have the ' NATIONAL SMACK A RABBIT DAY' conference in this forum cos it in't being used for f**k all else.

DOCTOR !! MY MEDICATION PLEASE

OP
jvolel

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
yogaman said:
znes seems to be even better than snes9x - definitely better than the console!! (oh why the hell are we posting this on the nemu board :( - well, since there's nothing better to post here ;) )

at least there is some posting going on here, since this board seemed to have been slowly dying off, or getting spamed up, void this post lol..... anyway i think znes and snes9x pretty much surpased the snes i mean it plays jap and eng and whatever other countries games with out modifaction (ie modifing the snes system...ect) also it can be played on the net.. not to even mention the video improvments as well as audio :thumbsup: ;)

OP
jvolel

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
DeadRabbit said:

It is awesome that the games look so much better on an emulator (well the ones that run correctly anyway).

There is one point though that an emulator could never surpass a console on. And that is that EVERYBODY who owns an N64, P.S., or whatever, all play the games at the same correct speed. As opposed to some people with high-spec machines running the game properly , and those (like me ;) , running it at a lesser rate.

also there is no better graphics card or sound card, just the same for everyone.

whoa whoa wait a sec... ok true about not all games working on the emu... but i recall playing a game of i think smash bros on (not pj64 but 1964) and the game actually ran faster on the emu then the real n64, not insanly fast just that when certain parts where suppose to slow down, it didn't..... like when using a bunch of poke balls on screen at once normaly it is suppose to lag but with the version of 1964 i was using at the time the game didnt slow down at all

Grunty

Actually I agree that PJ64 has surpassed the N64, in many aspects, the two most prominent ones being resolution and framerate. Look at Zelda for example. On The N64 the framerate is much choppier. (Though for some reason I always saw that as more of an effect rather than a bad framerate) Plus I love how with the increased res you can actually see the faces on the people in Hyrule castle town, and they mostly all look really demented!

OP
jvolel

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
you'd look demented too if you where them lol with impending doom around the corner lol

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
tsk tsk tsk, off-topic are we again?
the fact is...it's up to the authors themselves to decide the version. IMO, it should pass 1.0 since i don't feel like it's perfect, but it's the authors choice.

DeadRabbit said:

software cares not for hardware young jedi... it has a mind of its own, gobbling resources as it wendles its merry way though life :inlove: but fear not :eek: in 5 years you too will have a pc that can play pj64 version 2.8b2 without missing a hiccup :thumbsup:

DeadRabbit

Emutalk Janitor
:) [/B][/QUOTE]

whoa whoa wait a sec... ok true about not all games working on the emu... but i recall playing a game of i think smash bros on (not pj64 but 1964) and the game actually ran faster on the emu then the real n64, not insanly fast just that when certain parts where suppose to slow down, it didn't..... like when using a bunch of poke balls on screen at once normaly it is suppose to lag but with the version of 1964 i was using at the time the game didnt slow down at all [/B][/QUOTE]

My point wasn't about not all games working on the emu, I think it's incredible that emulators are at the compatibility they have reached today.

It was also, not about the speed, which is great (especially for a Glide card owner like myself with Daves plugin :)

It was just to say that on the console EVERY person is running the game at EXACTLY the same speed, with the same graphical output and sound quality.

It certainly wasn't meant to slag off emulators (I know you didn't imply that I did :)

Just putting one good point across that the console has over the emulator, that's all.

ERRRR...WTF HAPPENED WITH THE QUOTE ??????