What's new

CF settings how to help.

crhylove

Banned
Ok, i've been extensively testing 1964 7.4 ini with 7.1, and i have some ?'s.

Sorry if i'm not an emulation guru, I'm trying to become one... :p

I've changed resolutions and CF settings and various check boxes in the gui numerous times, and i haven't been able to come up with the maximum frame rate combo in any logical way.

for instance, i've been doing lots of testing with banjo kazooie, and it seems like the VI/s can get high, and the game not run as fast, or vice versa. so what is VI/s? where should it be? What are the settings that'll run the game the fastest? does it even matter what res i run in?

my own experience so far shows that it runs quite fast with cf 7, although quite slow with cf 8. cf 3-4 aren't bad, neither is cf 2.

resolutions are quite a conondrum. i seem to get better play or speed at lower res (logical) but less VI/s, and sometimes i actually get better speed at higher res (wierd). for instance 320x240 is NOT the fastest by any means (windowed), 512 is much faster (strange, eh?). full screen the low res goes faster, usually, but not necessarily.

Let me know what i should do/change to make the fastest configuration possible on a k6-3 400 with an ati rage 128.

btw, most games are VERY playable in a variety of resolutions/cf settings, major congrats again to rice/schibo n co. now we eagerly await jabo's new d3d... :D

rhy

The Phantom

System specs.

Perhaps the reason why it seems to run slow is because it actually *is* running slow. 400Mhz isn't exactly the fastest in the world, anymore. That's 33% slower than the system requirements...:hrm:

OP
crhylove

crhylove

Banned
not anymore

Not anymore. Lots of stuff runs great on this configuration. The new 1964 is fast. I was just wondering how to do the final tweaks to speed it up a little more on a few certain games. Basically i was hoping to attack the speed problem logically, instead of at almost random, as i have been doing.

Mario Kart plays great on cf 3-7 at res under 800x600 on this box.
lots of others too, but that's the only one i've got memorized right off hand.

rhy:devil:

sk8bloke22

roll for life
an even easier thing to do would be to put on the vi/s limiter. lol.

that will stop the emu going too fast. the speed a native n64 runs at is 60vi/s for NTSC games and 50vi/s for PAL. dont ask wat that translates to in fps (frames per second), but the n64 usually plays games between 15-30fps . so 60vi/s, im guessing, would be 30fps. but i dont think it works out double the fps.

as ur computer is slow, higher CFs will work better, but CF7/8 are very buggy and kinda give a frame-skip effect. still for soem pcs, that might be the best option compared to really slow vi/s .

schibo

Emulator Developer
It really depends on your system. I'd guesss CF4 is good for banjo on lower-end machines. There's no magic bullet for all processor speeds. 1964, like all other n64 emus to my knowledge, doesn't do accurate timing. But it's good to hear that people enjoy our emu :colgate:

Last edited: