What's new

PS2 Emu opinion???

BladeX

A little poll really!!! I was wonderin when everyone feels that the first PS2 emu will run a commercial game!!! judging by recent developments I would guess about christmas for the first signs of life/ what does everyone else think!!!

OP
B

BladeX

Woah!!! It is just an opinion poll to see what people think! I have obviously offended so I apologise. But hey! Take it easy people'''

CyRUS64

udging by recent developments I would guess about christmas for the first signs of life/ what does everyone else think!!!
haha, these emulators have literally emulated almost nothing thus far tbh. The PCSX2 guys have started on vector coprocessors and various dmas, but that doesnt say much, and they were passed some src for this anyhow...
I'd be very surprised to see them getting anywhere within 2 years, but then again i didnt think id get commercial output for that long either :) (and i was working on my own)
So u never know... and nor do they :p

Martin

Administrator
CyRUS64 said:

haha, these emulators have literally emulated almost nothing thus far tbh. The PCSX2 guys have started on vector coprocessors and various dmas, but that doesnt say much, and they were passed some src for this anyhow...
I'd be very surprised to see them getting anywhere within 2 years, but then again i didnt think id get commercial output for that long either :) (and i was working on my own)
So u never know... and nor do they :p

I must say that I don't like that attitude at all, laughing at the state of an emu project is not nice at all. :plain2:

I'm sure you don't intent to hurt anyone, CyRUS64, as I know you're a good guy, but from a PCSX2 author's perspective, I imagine that must feel like a shot in the leg...

CyRUS64

Martin, I was replying to this...
judging by recent developments I would guess about christmas for the first signs of life/ what does everyone else think!!!
I actually often speak to Keith and some of the actual psx2 emu developers, and I am not trying to slight their work whatsoever.
Its excellent to see ps2 emulation in the public eye, and this is the same style I myself tried to follow with Icarus. They all obviously have emulation credentials, so I'm sure they will go far.
I wasn't laughing at the state of the project at all, but rather at the persons naivety in thinking that commerciality could be predicted, nevertheless achieved by christmas!
Even so, I don't think any of the psx2 emu authors will deny that the emulators are all terribly primitive at this stage. Its a simple fact! The playstation2 is one beast of a machine (emulation wise at least). I have no qualms in believing that the ps2 is easily more complex to emulate than either the x-box or gamecube, and i'd say even the dreamcast may be also, but i wont go there quite yet.. ;p
l8r,
CyRUS

Martin

Administrator
My bad, sorry about that. I should have read the thread more carefully. :blush: