What's new

Duel Boot w/ winXp and win98se?

Josep

eyerun4phun
Is that possible? i mean like, having winxp already installed, then installing win98se to another drive and duel booting? is it possible? and how?:)

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Well Dual booting between those system IS possible,
just BUY Partitionmagic/bootmagic from PowerQuest and it will be a piece of cake.

About the ntfs thing it IS possible to view and edit the contents of a NTFS partition from win98. Just download "NTFS for Windows 98" (you need a few XP files (ntfs drivers) and put them on your win98 partition)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
err, im an idiot, tell me what to do with partitionmagic?? Right now my C and D drive have xp installed on them, I do NOT want xp on my C drive because its a 2500rpm hd and is very loud and slow. My D drive will not show up when i restart as a OS to select, even though when i load up my C drive XP I can find all the folders that were there b4 in the D drive. I looked through partitionmagic and it said that the D drive has error #104 and it says BAD next to it, if this means its a Bad hd, like it doesn't work, i don't know, i don't see how it could when i haven't done anything to it:( please help

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, Like I said in the private message, I would reccomend you always have the newer/faster drive as the primary master hard drive. This usually makes it C:\ If it isn't, then you can simply open your computer and switch the cables between drives and it should fix the problem there.

Falcon, I know your trying to help but I'm trying to talk him through an inexpensive way to do this. Buying partitionmagic and bootmagic will cost quite a bit. I know my way works because I'm running it on my computer now and I can take him through it step by step. However thanks for the info on the NTFS for Win98. I didn't know that exisited.

vileP

Here's what I will be doing as soon summer school is over for me:

1. Partition my 40GB hard drive with about a 640MB primary partition in FAT32, a 15GB in NTSF for XP, a 10 GB NTSF for video capture, and the rest for downloads and Linux :linux:, whenever I feel like installing Linux.

2. Partition my 10GB in FAT32 for Windows 98SE only.

3. Install Win98SE to D:\ (the 10GB drive)

4. Install and format XP to E:\ (the 15GB partition in the 40GB drive)

The reason for the 640MB primary partition is three-fold: 1 & 2) 256MB swap files for XP and 98SE, and 3) for either XP's boot manager or LILO's boot manager.

I only use Partition Magic if i intend to move or resize partitions from drive to drive; I've never liked it to just make partitions from blank drives.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I use a boot program called BootIt NG. It works quite well, and can be used to manage partitions as well. Not to mention its not very expensive.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
err, kinda ghetto, but i got it working, i have winxp installed twice on the D drive? i dunno, but i do, thats the ghetto part, but win98 finally worked, i just unplugged the NTFS HD for the win98 installation, then it was cool from there, still kinda ticked that i have to have winxp twice on one HD, o well, its big enough;)