What's new

Daedalus on XBOX

mesman00

What's that...?
Did you guys check out the Daedalus homepage recently. Seems strmnrm has begun to port Daedalus to the XBOX. he posted some screenshots, it looks pretty sweet. i think this is a great achievement in emulation, how bout all of you?

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
I think they should do something similar with 1964. But the plugin system may be harder to port. Would it be possible? [And, would the FPS be worth it]?

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
It's possible. The plugin system wouldn't be hard to port since they both use zilmar spec. for the plugins. And if you can see daedalus running at almost 60 FPS, then 1964 should be able to do the same or better...

StrmnNrmn

Hrm, I'm not sure sure it would be that easy to port the plugins, as the xbox won't let you dynamically link to any code. There's no such things as .dlls on the xbox - everything has to be statically linked into the executable - so you have to have the source code to have any chance of getting the plugin working. When I ported Daedalus, I had to re-merge the graphics plugin source back into the main codebase.

That said, if the plugin source is available, it's not too hard to do if you have a wrapper around the calls to the plugin, because you can just call the statically linked code directly. After that there's not really much work required to get DX8 code working with the Xbox (it's actually a lot simpler to create the render target and initialise everything, as there's no device enumeration to bother with). There's a few subtle changes that are needed - like you have to swizzle all the textures if you want to use the wrap or mirroring addressing modes, and that can be quite a performance hit.

There's no DirectInput, so input plugins need to be changed to use the controller api (which is a lot simpler than DirectInput anyway).

I've not got sound working in Daedalus-Xbox, so I can't really comment on that, although I guess it's not going to be that difficult. Having the source for an audio plugin would obviously help though.

StrmnNrmn

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
Daedalus on Xbox is very very cool :)

I really hope you release it in any form, like sourcecode. Whatever, it's great work!

B

Blade64

I am a little unsure of things here - If the XBox Emu was released. Would it be a simple case of burning the image to CD. (Like you do with stuff from DCCopyWorld) and then it would play r would you have to have your X-Box chipped in some way. Would there be a way to make it self bootable. Someone explain!!!

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
strmnrm, if you don't wanna answer this, its alright, but how are u running the port, is ur xbox modded?? or do u have the devkit?

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
strmnrmn, if you dont mind me asking, what developer do you work for?

Also good work. I hope MS doesn't try to stop you from making more progress.

Encirp

ya that would be awesome if someone made a mod chip for the gamecube and you could play n64 on it

what do you think guys and i was wondering why everyone is modding x-box and playstation 2 but theres not a lot of mod stuff for the gamecube
answers apprecaited

LD.

*poke*
I suppose it has something to do with the fact that the GC uses mini-dvd discs for its games, which aren't as easy to get hold of to burn games onto.

No burnt games = no need to mod.

B

Blade64

Sorry but going back to X-Box is there not the possibility of a boot disk like Playstation or Dreamcast - As I don't want to invalidate my warrenty???

sk8bloke22

roll for life
how fast is daedalus on the xbox, cos it looks wkd, however the thought of playing zelda or goldeneye on the xbox controller sends a shiver down my spine.