What's new

cut down on silly Qs - make people wait

Smiff

Emutalk Member
I just saw this implemented on another forum and thought 'holy shit, that's just what we need'. simple: make people wait 5 days after signing up before they can post. Before you go "nooo waay! that's harsh" just think, it could work very well here. It makes people stop and find out for themselves the answer to their question, by reading other posts and using the search... you know how often a question is already answered. Good for us, and good for them 'cos they get that warm fuzzy feeling of thinking for themselves (and not getting flamed!).

It was on a vB forum BTW.

Martin

Administrator
That sounds like a nice idea, if I can only find this hack we'll install it. :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ya, it's a good idea, but I think I'm gonna miss to shout at people and point them to the rules thread :p
Well, I can do it until the hack is put in, hehe :D

Should teach people hopefully...

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I want a new smilie, a little penguin, and it can be activated by trying in :penguin: or :linux:

im gonna find something

RatTrap

GODLIKE
i don't know about you guys.. sure it's good that you won't have to answer the same question again and again.. but i mean most ppl that will just come in and ask right away b4 looking around.. won't know what their doing anyways and think they did something wrong.. and maybe go to another board.. maybe the best thing would be to make the search page be the first page you get to the first time you log in.. or something like that.. and put BIG capital letters and say.. "search your question here first!.. then go ask" or something like that.. i dunno just an idea.. it just seems harsh to not let them post.. coz i mean.. what if your question has not been answered here b4..

although.. a combination of the two could be ok.. 1 hour or half an hour to wait b4 you can post.. and the first login you do you end up at the search page.. maybe it could make things better :).. dunno.. but to me even 5 hours seems like to much..

Eagle

aka Alshain
I'm a bit skeptical about that Smiff, it might work if you lower the time to 24 hours, but 5 days is a bit much. And make sure you tell them something that says they have a wait period and to try searching for the answer to their question while they wait.

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
I saw on another site there you had to answer a quiz about the rules before you signed up!
That's great, that makes the n00bs have to read the faq.

Doomulation

Can't you try to make a hack to make n00bies MUST read the rules thread before posting? That's be a good idea.

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
Doom: So they will go the rules page, and leave it 1 sec later?
I think the quiz about the rules is the best thing to do :p

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Here`s a dumb idea : mate them input a valid credit card number at the registration form, and than tell them, that if they behave like bunch of n00bs, we`ll withdraw 100$ of their bill :) That`ll make them scared :)

Doomulation

DuDe said:
Here`s a dumb idea : mate them input a valid credit card number at the registration form, and than tell them, that if they behave like bunch of n00bs, we`ll withdraw 100$ of their bill :) That`ll make them scared :)
Lol, I don't think they'll join at all then!
How about this then:

Make them wait at the rules-thread for say, 2 minutes or something? Remove the link so they can't leave and tell them to read it through before being redirected,

RatTrap

GODLIKE
i hate to say it.. but the quiz idea ain't to good eather.. some ppl might be in need of help and might not understand english so good as to be able to answer a quiz well.. i know some of those we don't even want here.. but are you willing really to ignore all of them just because some of them are most probably terribly anoying?.. i think that's a bad plan.. users have a right to be assholes you know.. this is the Inet.. and of course the ops can be asses right back at em.. ignore em.. boot em.. baan em.. whatever.. but i really don't think a quiz or a 5 day post ban is gonna work so well.. (think about it.. how fun is it to do a quiz on rules on a site?.. would you actually go to all that trouble?.. i know i'd never do that)..

Jabo

Emulator Developer
people sit down at anything and if they can't figure it out in a short time, they get upset and blame others. they also hate reading things, so make the intro very short and concise (5 good sentences)... put quick links to help them get the answers they came here for quick.. I don't think people will enjoy waiting time before posting, and asking quiz questions some would find insulting. Don't punish people with these things, find ways to make them want to help themselves..

it's unfair in some cases to completely blame people that come here and post the same things over and over, yeah we make rules, yeah we type documents, but people need to find these things.. it's up to admins/moderators to make a community like emutalk more friendly to those who aren't as wise

one example, someone doesn't read the FAQ, we usually despise this because there is 100 questions about something... but look at it from their perspective, they come here, signup, and then what, like a kid in a candy store they want to ask someone for help... emutalk has "sticky notes" which is a great way to put things like FAQs in the foreground, but no one is forced to click there, no one is forced to read it, there is probably a lot of good reasons why people might ignore it, not worth going into here, you get the idea, think of things along these lines

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Agreed, thats not the way to go.

I think maybe with Martins 1337 Welcome e-mails To activate the account.
Put links to Rules, FAQ's, Search Function, Useful downloads etc (you get the picture)

Kind of a Please read & Learn, with a smile & a welcome :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Harteex said:
I saw on another site there you had to answer a quiz about the rules before you signed up!
That's great, that makes the n00bs have to read the faq.

I like that idea!!!!

Doomulation

What about asking what "RTFAQ" and "RTFM" means? They'll have to read the rules to understand that.