What's new

AMD Duron 750 at 1.0 GHz??

HostLink

I have an AMD Duron 750 MHz.
In my BIOS I can change the CPU Clock Frequency between 750 MHz and 1 GHz. The bus speed is 100 MHz when using 750 MHz clock, and when I select 1 GHz, the bus speed becomes 133 MHz. However, when I tried to boot with the CPU at 1 GHz, the screen had serious display errors, and everything was unreadable, included the boot screen (which was halted by the way).
I have one DIMM module of 256 MB and one of 128 MB, both are PC 100/133 MHz.

The question I have is, is there a specific reason why I can't use the CPU properly in the 1 GHz mode? Is the RAM causing me this problem? Why I can change the CPU frequency but without success?

M

mann

its not the ram

its not the ram its because your overclocking it to much. Does it have any other settings besides 750mhz and 1ghz like 800 or 900. And if there is make sure to adjust the power supply a little higher also so it gets the power needed.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
It could just not be getting enough voltage, try adjusting your motherboards CPU voltage setting +.1v. Make sure your giving enough cooling.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Yeah, cooling is a major factor here. If you overclock a cpu too much, and you ain`t got enough cooling, it will fry, and you`ll get a nice 100$ worth of a paper weight.
Anyway, I wouldn`t go for such a high overclock, 33% is too much. Try lower values at first.

OP
HostLink

HostLink

The "CPU PnP Setup" page at the BIOS looks as follows:
----------------------------------
CPU Brand AMD K7
CPU Type Duron
CPU Speed 750 MHz *
CPU Core Voltage 1.600 V
CPU Ratio 7.5x
CPU Frequency 100 MHz
DRAM Frequency 133 MHz **
----------------------------------
(*) Available options are: 750 MHz / 1.0 GHz
(**) Available options are: 100 MHz / 133 Mhz
The rest of the settings are LOCKED.
The options above are the working settings.

I read a guide where I found that the CPU Ratio is locked by the processor itself, and to unlock them I have to make a bridge phisically over the Processor, using a conductive pen, (which I dont have and cannot get) so I would be able to select different Ratios. To change the Core Voltage, I also have to short some pins at the left of the CPU. It seems the only way to do it is using the conductive ink, a soldering iron won’t work because solder won’t adhere to the surface of the CPU. The needed voltage for the overclocked Duron is 1.75 V at least, which is the one that the new Athlons use.

The cooling is not a real trouble, since at my PC store I can get a powerful cooler which is used for the Duron 1GHz and that rotates at 6000 RPM, making a big noise.

If u wanna take a look, this is the guiude I found:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1345&p=2

It seems I'll have to open the CPU (as I do it almost daily...) and work directly over the CPU, a job that is not the most comfortable option.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Then i see no solution by that crappy processor.
Either you try to do it manually, or you buy a new one.
They are overclockable.