What's new

Q about Processors

LoneRaven

Glide64 Website Guy
I would like to replace my current computer with a computer which I would custom build. However, I am not sure whether to purchase a:

Pentium 4: 2.5 Ghz or
AMD XP 2.2 Ghz processor.

Generally I hear that AMD makes a better gaming processor. My rig would primarily be for 3d Animation (3ds Max 4) and gaming. Which processor would be the best for me needs? If you have an answer please support it with facts.

Thanks

vileP

It's really up to you. You'll save money on the XP processor vs. the P4, but the 2200+ is slower than the P4 2.5Ghz. look at www.tomshardware.com and look at the comparisons between the XP and the P4 processors. I would go XP.

Josep

eyerun4phun
its purely based on opinion when you can buy to processors that are that close ghz-wise. Then it goes to price-wise, then i'd go with amd athlon's xp processor;) but whatever floats your boat, just make sure ya cool it correctly too;)

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
If your focusing more on games and just general applications the AMD processor will out preform an Intel. Where Intel takes ground is in graphical compression used in 3DStudio Max (any version) and some other 3D rendering software. If you don't mind an extra 2 sec added on to the end of a render go with AMD, you'll get better preformance everywhere else. If the 2sec means that much to you go Intel.

icepir8

We started to get P4 systems here at work and have software compatiblity problems with them. Every other thing in the systems are the same except for the P4 motherboards. No problems with the AMD XP proccessors just the P4s.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You know, thats pretty sad that the p4 2.5ghz barely runs ahead of AMDs 2200+, which is realy a 1.8ghz processor.

I wonder what intels next marketing scheme will be once the consumer learns about the megahertz myth?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ya, Intel is fooling ppl to buy their processors.
But AMD is too.
A real tradgedy it has to be like this I think...
don't you? :p

OP
LoneRaven

LoneRaven

Glide64 Website Guy
Thanks for all of the help. I believe I will stick with AMD. Also if I have the time and money I think I will take neoak's advice and put in two.