Votes: 2 7.4%
  • FreeBSD Linux

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Olger901

Banned
Which OS should I use. Now I am using Windows 98 SE and Xp Pro but which one is best?

Because all OSes have advantages and disadvantages

Windows 95 Very Unstable, slow, very buggy

Windows 95 OSR2 Very Unstable, slow, very buggy

Windows 98 Has much errors and very buggy

Win98SE Is pretty stable only if it gives an error it hangs most of the times, but hasn't got much bugs

Windows 2000 Pro: Very Stable and not much bugs

WinME The biggest sh*t ever made, the worst OS I ever met

XP boots fastest and is stable but is very buggy and doesn't work fine with Dos programs like M.U.G.E.N.

2fast4u

using xp pro and suse linux. the best solution for me so far.
btw, i think this is tech talk stuff

Eagle

aka Alshain
I have a dual boot system with Windows XP and Windows 98SE. If it doesn't run in XP, I just reboot to 98.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I figure that you should run...
Win98/98se if your a windows user for just basic stuff: word processing, surfing, email ya'know the basic computer user stuff

Win2k/XP if you need stability, running a Windows based server (because your too dumb to understand command lines), for emulation, doing programming (includes web based stuff) and for newer games.

Linux (any distro) for servers, heavy programming, anything where you need total uptime, fun.

I say any distro for linux because if you know what your doing it doesn't matter what distro you use, you cxan customize Linux to what ever you want it to be :)

M

mann

Windows 98 SE

I think windows 98 SE is the best because its the most reliable and the most compatable, but XP Pro is OK but it tends to have some problems with my video card, but thats just me.

Redah

Go Sweden! Not!
Administrator
BORN TO PLAY™

vileP said:
Don't forget, XP is better at capuring and editing video.

No it's not. I can name you dozens of capture cards that work in Windows XP, but have framedrops like crazy. So unless you stick to 15 frames per second like Microsoft wants us too (for sending thru e-mail) you're going to get in trouble.

I want to be able to capture 5 hours at 30fps without 1 frame dropped. And Win98SE is the only OS of all of those that can provide me that (with a defragged harddisk ofcourse).

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
Funnily enough Redah, I did a lot of capturing on 98SE. My machine would always drop a frame every 7-8mins, nothing important. My only theory is due to the fact I've got an AGP2X motherboard, or that my Hauppauge WinTV isn't as brilliant as my old miro PCTV (unlikely), or that my TV signal is a little iffy.

The latter seems unlikely now, since Win2K capturing (which produces a slightly sharper proper 384x288 image, not 384x284 that 98SE always produced for PAL half-res) also doesn't drop any frames for the first 15-20mins, then follows the same 7-8mins with a singular drop form. I might try using the newer WDM drivers with a WDM to VfW wrapper so VfW apps work properly, but I hate WDM ;)

As for the vote, I went for 95B (best on older, sub 200MHz PCs), 98SE (best on other machines that need DOS compatibility) and 2K Pro (I use this now, much more stable and some other improvements). If it were there, I'd pick DOS for it's gaming heritage and stability - you can always blame the program, and not the OS :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
It's just best to have Win XP Pro and win98, and if you're a little into it and wish to use little advanced stuff: linux. :bounce:

flow``

flow``
why dont some of your sentences make sense..

Win98SE Is pretty stable only if it gives an error it hangs most of the times, but hasn't got much bugs ????

XP boots fastest and is stable but is very buggy and doesn't work fine with Dos programs like M.U.G.E.N. ???

98se can be stable given you run old hardware and not over 512 megs of ram so it wont collapse on you.. xp pro works fine for me but right now i'm running win2k3 server enterprise evaluation for shits'n'giggles. i'll probably go back to 2k once sp4 comes out in a few days (scheduled for the 25th i believe)

Status
Not open for further replies.