What's new

Help! My computer wont start up!

garboy

Some One
I have all my computer parts and i installed everything and stuff...when i turned on my computer,everything lit up right....but my monitor lights just flash and nothin happens...my ide cables are plugged in right(the red part closest to the powercord)my monitor is plugged correctly to my tower(i checked twice)....can someone plz help???

Josep

eyerun4phun
do the fans turn on? or, does the motherboard look like it has power going to it? if its just the moniter not turning on, check and make sure the video card is pushed in all the way;) and that the RGB cable from the moniter is plugged in correctly to the video card, hope that helps a little;)

OP
G

garboy

Some One
i just unplugged my vid. card and reseated it....still doesnt work..should i try unplugging everything from the motherboard and stuff then replug in everything?

Josep

eyerun4phun
MAYBE, i need to know the EXACT problem here, is it just your moniter that won't turn on? Like, you can here everything else booting up, floppy drive, cd-rom, like, does it sound like a normal boot up? I need to know the exact nature of the prob;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Is it posting? (Can you hear it beep when you turn on the power?) If so then its a monitor problem. If not then it is something wrong with the PC itself.

OP
G

garboy

Some One
The monitor turns on...the LED lights on it flash tho...it isnt a monitor problem because i tried with my moms monitor and the same thing happens. Yes i can hear the harddrive and stuff startup but when i turn on my comp. and monitor,nothing comes on the screen...i know my parts arent screwed up because before i got my floppy drive,harddrive,monitor,speakers,etc...when i only had my tower,cpu,cpu fan,ram,vid card,and burner,i tried it with my moms monitor and it posted...are the IDE cables supposed to be connected so the red strip is closest to the power connector?Should i unplug everything and replug everything in and see if it works?Do you think something was connected wrong?If the master and slave settings are wrong...does the computer still POST?

Thanx for your time

-garboy

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
hmm.... my computer is like that everytime I start it... the solution for me is to let it be a minute and then press the reset button and it starts...

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, it sounds like something is plugged in upside down. Most likely a hard drive or floppy drive or CD-Rom. The saying that "The plug should have the red line facing the power cord" is not true at all. I've had many newer drives that were exact opposite. The red line marks pin 1. You should look close at the hard drive/floppy/CD-Rom/motherboard and pin 1 should be marked on there somewhere. (Usually its marked with a little white "1" on the circuit board) The red line will face that mark.

Plugging it in upside down shouldn't damage it, but it won't boot with it like that. My suggestion would be to unplug all the drives except the Master hard drive (Including Floppies and CD-Roms). You don't have to disconnect power from them, just remove the IDE/Floppy Cable. If it still wont work then the master HD must have a cable upside down. If it does boot then one of the other cables must have been upside down. Proceed to plug the drives back in one at a time and power it up after each drive to test it.

OP
G

garboy

Some One
I unplugged all the cables from the drives and it wont even post like that...well a few weeks ago i plugged this 10 yr. old monitor into my computer to see if it would post...do you think i accidentally damage the vid. card by doing that?

Josep

eyerun4phun
i really doubt you damaged the video card unless you REALLY forced it, or maybe something else that eagle would know;) MIGHT want to think about getting a new moniter, could be that, BTW isn't it blurry with a 10 year old moniter? i couldn't stand my 5 year old moniter;)