What's new

Project 64 and Sound Issues

Dunlavy

:pj64: Project 64 is, by far, one of the most comprehensive emulators out there. Also, it is the only one I've found that has surpassed beta stage. It is also one of the few emulators that runs both Zelda games, Mario 64, Star Fox, and Mortal Kombat 4 on my machine without a hitch.

However, Perfect Dark suffers from terrible sound problems - that, for the most part, are irrepairable. I have the Jabo DirectSound plugin, and a few from 1964, but Jabo's works the best. I know that PD DOES work on Project 64... any suggestions?

BTW, I have an Athlon XP 1800 system w/ a GeForce 3 Ti 500. My system is not underpowered in the slightest.

Any help will be appreciated. I will try to reciprocate by contributing to others on this board.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Turn off Speed Limit in emulator config and Turn on Sync Audio in Sound Config

OP
D

Dunlavy

Thanks a lot. :) I'll try that.

--Update--

I changed the settings as you said and it works great. The PJ64 help file warned AGAINST doing such things. Nice website, too... Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

nudetothis

This is how I got Perfect Dark working on mine ... thanks to Smiff and a lucky break.

1. Turn OFF audio sync.

2. Turn ON core limiter (F4)

3. Before turning on PJ64, check you desktop properties and set your desktop to 16 bit. (This is a windows setting not PJ64)

I have an Epox 8KHA+, Athlon 1700+, 512mb PC2100 DDR, and a GeF4 Ti4400, and until I switched to a 16 bit desktop PD still wouldn't play for me without chirping audio and jerky graphics. Once I changed to 16 bit, it runs 60fps like buttah!.

OP
D

Dunlavy

I get stuttering too. I eliminated stuttering in most of my games by following Azimer's advice and setting the F4 FPS limiter to "Off" and syncing the game to the audio with Jabo's plugin. However, Perfect Dark, as I've discovered through extended playing, gets pretty crackly later in the game.

Grr... :plain2:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
This stuttering is caused in some games because the audio is not synced with the core speed.
To solve this, enable "sync audio".
A typical example of this problem is in OoT.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Not many tend to follow my advice and just blame me for audio problems ;) Luckly, I am not the only one with an audio dll hehe

Smiff

Emutalk Member
the problem with azimer's advice is that it puts audio first, when most people put the whole system first (core, input, everything)... you can't have it both ways. I still recommend leaving the core limiter on, audio limiter off and putting up with some stuttering... otherwise you may have smooth audio but you don't have a smooth game (!).

HostLink

Dunlavy said:
:pj64: Project 64 is, by far, one of the most comprehensive emulators out there.

I agree. However, I dare to say that 1964 has a better performance, (higher frame rate therefore better audio) even if Im using the same Jabo's video plugin than in PJ64. At the Hyrule Field the sound is chopped bad when using PJ64, this doesnt happen with 1964. When Link is inside of dungeons or small places, the frame rate is sometimes excessively fast, but it seems the option "Enable video speed sync" makes some sort of speed limit, so I have it enabled all the time.

But fore some strange reason, the Jabos DirectSound causes 1964 to enter in a loop or something and I have to force it to close. The Basic Audio Plugin is absolutely mute (!), and the only working audio plugin I can use is the Azimer's, but I don't complain about it since it is very good.

(where do I found those icons of the happy face holding a caption?)

Last edited:
OP
D

Dunlavy

>To Azimer<
Not many follow your advice, Azimer? Well, I happen to think you give great advice. Hell, how many people have coded DLLs to use with emulator cores? How many people can code? I barely can code, and I have yet to design a small, 3D game engine that won't crash or recieve abysmal frame rates. Don't get me started on emulation, either. Coding an emulator must take years of work and research.

NEways, damn the stuttering. PD is now playable. None of my other ROMs stutter. Just PD. I can't figure out why, though. NONE of the options seem to work flawlessly with this forsaken game.

>To HostLink<
I get more than sufficient frame rates with Project 64. 1964 has a lower compatibility rating than PJ64, so I believe I will stick with this product until something better comes along (though I doubt this will happen). Thanks for the input, though. :)

It's pretty hard to get BAD frame rates with my rig, wouldn't ya think?

Athlon XP 1800
GeForce 3 Ti500
256MB DDR-RAM (512 is a waste)
7,200 RPM Maxtor hard drive (sub 8 m.s. seek time)
An MSI K7T Pro 2 Motherboard with USB 2.0

Processor temp runs 114 degree Fahrenheit (too hot?)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Re: Re: Project 64 and Sound Issues

HostLink said:

I agree. However, I dare to say that 1964 has a better performance, (higher frame rate therefore better audio) even if Im using the same Jabo's video plugin than in PJ64. At the Hyrule Field the sound is chopped bad when using PJ64, this doesnt happen with 1964. When Link is inside of dungeons or small places, the frame rate is sometimes excessively fast, but it seems the option "Enable video speed sync" makes some sort of speed limit, so I have it enabled all the time.

But fore some strange reason, the Jabos DirectSound causes 1964 to enter in a loop or something and I have to force it to close. The Basic Audio Plugin is absolutely mute (!), and the only working audio plugin I can use is the Azimer's, but I don't complain about it since it is very good.

(where do I found those icons of the happy face holding a caption?)
Jabo's sound doesn't work in 1964 since it's LLE.
1964 only supports HLE audio. So therefore, the best plugin to use with 1964 is azimer's sound plugin.

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I guess the question becomes, where does it stutter and is it constant? More details or whatever. When I use PD on my 1.4Ghz/GF2 MX400, I don't get any stuttering during the intro. That is all I've ever really tested since it was where I had to work out the MP3 decompression.

Dunlavy said:
<snip>
NEways, damn the stuttering. PD is now playable. None of my other ROMs stutter. Just PD. I can't figure out why, though. NONE of the options seem to work flawlessly with this forsaken game.
</snip>

OP
D

Dunlavy

Though my frame rates are sky high, the sound skips and even distorts a little bit on the intro... well, everywhere. But it is now playable. Before you recommended those settings, all I had was a loud hissing noise that made the game too irritable to play.

y2t15

I downloaded the robotron game but when i turn to full screen the sound stutters then goes.
Someone help me resolve this problem.
pentium4
40GB
256Mb
Geforce MX200 32MB
windows XP
:bs: