What's new

Networking prob

yogaman

Banned
Well, my OS is still Windows 98 and I've got pretty bad problems to establish a connection to my laptop! This is kinda strange coz it should be quite simple: I've got the same Domain , using Microsoft Internet Client, all files have been made available and I checked the IP-A. Now, it just doesn't work!!!! I heard that networking on OS 98 or older would be more complicated than on XP or so....... does anybody know how to get the crap to work?? I've checked all the help files but no answers, still :(

thx

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
no not a hub - that doesn't work for a dual connection - the other one (ummm.... how do you call it the "crossed one", I guess it's called router! Don't tell me nobody networked with 98 !!!!!!

Josep

eyerun4phun
i for one didn't!:( Sorry, I'm pretty sure you have a router, how much did you pay for it and stuff? im not an expert;) obviously, just trying to help a bit

Eagle

aka Alshain
Did somebody call for an expert? Well, I'm not one, but I come pretty close.

Some Hub/Switch/Routers/Network Cards have difficulty communicating over the TCP/IP protocol with another local computer (mine does too). Whats the solution? Install another protocol. Don't delete the TCP/IP, but install the Microsoft IPX/SPX compatible protocol on both computers (Its real easy, just add it and its almost done configuring. Then open the properties for that protocol and tick the box next to "Enable NetBios over IPX/SPX....etc" and click ok. Finally make sure you enable file and printer sharing, and make sure you have a firewall if your on a broadband connection, cause once youve enabled it, your a target to would be hackers. You should end up with something like this.

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
Hey Eagle, thx for ur input but does it matter whether you use Microsoft Family logon / or Client for Microsoft network?? And do you have to change the IP to: 192'168'0'X / 255'255'255'0 for both computers? errrrr.... did I forget something?

Pauncho

the dns should be the same, and ip aadresses different . if one ip adress is 192.168.0.0, the other should be 192.168.0.1

OP
yogaman

yogaman

Banned
is it required to insert the dns/ip manually or is auto detect enough? And what are the required protocols - and their settings? It still doesn't work :(

Eagle

aka Alshain
Microsoft Family Logon merely prevents the stupid "Network Password Dialog" from appearing and logs you into the network automatically. You should use this if your the only one using the computer on a small network. And my IP and DNS are detected from the cable modem service automatically, so I don't know that.

Pauncho

if u use netbeui as your protocol, all settings will be made for you, so if u just install netbeui and file and print sharing, and write the same workgroup for each computer, it should work just like that

Eagle

aka Alshain
Pauncho, he may need TCP/IP for his internet connection. I don't know if that would work any better.

Pauncho

oh i c, i didnt see anything about needing to share an internet connection in his first post, so i thought it was just file sharing

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, not sharing per say, but cable modems require a TCP/IP connection. I think DSL does too.