What's new

XP question.

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
What is the difference between XP home edition and XP pro? I want to know the differences before i decide which one i should buy and upgrade to...

OP
2bzy4ne1

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Thanks for the link. Looks like I only need the basic stuff so i'm going to go XP home edition.

OP
2bzy4ne1

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Now another question....... where can I find XP at a lower than average price?

adi

get out of my house
are u positive home doesnt have ntfs support? it doesnt seem right if it doesnt

Allnatural

XP Home does have NTFS support, and I believe it also supports remote desktop.

What the Home version lacks is SMP support and the ability to join an NT domain.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Eagle said:
If XP is going to be your only OS, I'd reccomend pro. NTFS is sooooo much more stable than Fat32. But it does cost quite a bit more.

www.pricewatch.com
I wouldn't say so...
NTSF sucks. At least for me.
Things have started going to hell after converting it to NTSF. It worked just fine before.

Remote

One Sentence: Get the Pro version and use NTSF, which doesn't suck if you don't convert from FAT32 to NTSF... :D

Eagle

aka Alshain
Of course the only way to do it without converting is you have to buy the OEM version of XP. To do that you usually have to buy a hard drive or motherboard with it. However some companies manipulate the "rule" that you have to buy hardware with an OEM version by selling you a CD Audio cable.

zorbid

Why do you need to buy an OEM version?

I have the "corporate" edition, so I don't know exactly how the official versions look like, but it was easy to make a clean install. I used partition magic to split my win 98 fat32 partition, copied my data(s?) to the second one, and installed XP on the first one, using XP's install to turn that partition to NTFS and format it.

Then I moved the data back to the first and resized the second to fit exactly the pagefile.sys (above 512 Mo --> 1x the size of the ram + 5Mo that must remain free, dunno why). I leaved that partition in FAT32 cos' it's faster and I don't need NTFS for the pagefile.

Trotterwatch

XP Home does support NTFS, it doesn't support file encryption:

The Encrypting Files System (EFS) allows you to encrypt files so that unauthorized users cannot view their contents. This is helpful in a high security or a laptop environment. EFS depends on the NTFS file system. Both Windows XP Home and Professional support the NTFS file system, but EFS is disabled on XP Home. EFS is best used on laptop computers.

So, the lack of EFS support is no biggie really.

Converting to NTFS from a FAT Partion on an existing install of XP is a very bad idea:

Beware of Converting Partitions to NTFS Under Windows NT: Converting a partition from FAT to NTFS under Windows NT results in the NTFS partition being assigned the smallest possible cluster size, 512 bytes. This may cause a degradation in performance.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/implPart-c.html

To format as NTFS, you can simply boot from CD, and tell Windows to format as an NTFS partition via the simple menu system that pops up. At the moment I still use Fat32 after converting to XP from an old 98 install without problems. When I eventually reformat though, I shall be going the way of NTFS, mainly due to it being harder to corrupt via power failuires than Fat32.

OP
2bzy4ne1

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Eagle said:
If XP is going to be your only OS, I'd reccomend pro. NTFS is sooooo much more stable than Fat32. But it does cost quite a bit more.
How much more are we talking about?

HostLink

Converting my HD to NTFS was the worst idea I ever done. It is really useless, u lose performance BAD, like if u had 8 AntiVirus runing at the same time, it was simply horrible.
WTF for do I need "file encryption" or "unauthorized users..." stuff?? And remember that all security systems can be easily disarmed, especially if it comes from MS.
I really doubt that if I fresh-format my HD in NTFS I will get better performance than with FAT32. Most of the time, new formats are slower, so u have to upgrade your computer, and therefore invest money (which I dont have). Here the light goes off (or whatever u say it) at least twice a week, and I never had problems with any of my HD.

vileP

I disagree that NTSF is bad. It's good if your hard drive is 32GB> or want to record tv without having a 2GB file limit.

And on the manuals for XP Pro non-OEM version? I won a copy of XP Pro, and there only 1 manual: a quick 34 page booklet on how to install, configure, backup, and troubleshoot XP.

Last edited: