What's new

Windows XP worth buying?

Remote

Depends on what OS you are using at the moment, if you are on 98 or earlier - yes, if you are on 2000 - maybe...

Remote

Well, it depends. If you like the new look, XP is for you but as far as stability I haven't noticed much difference, from what I've heard XP uses a slighty worse version of NTSF - 5.1, compared to 2000 which uses 5.0. If you decide to go for XP, get the Pro version and forget that you ever heard of Home...

Dabba_Deh

The Sultan
Well, I had it for a while, and it seemed to be pretty good. But I soon found out you couldn't use DOS programs on it, when I tried to run ePSXe, I switched to '98. If you get XP, you should keep a small '98 partition and use BootMagic or something similar, just in case you need '98 to use something.

XP is much more user friendly, and from what I've heard, is better for 64 emulation. As soon as I get money, and off my ass, I might just go buy it...But I need more ram first.

Trotterwatch

XP is an excellent OS, in the many months of which I've had it (and bare in mind I installed over an 5 month old install of 98) I've had 0 hard locks/bluescreens, when with Win98 it was a common occurence for me.

Most problems people have experienced are down to user error, but because XP is quite a new OS, there is an inherent tendency to just blame that instead.

The only thing I would advise with XP, is to ensure you turn off all redundant services - as these can take up ram, even if you never use them.

I have not experienced any problems running DOS programs, as XP includes pretty good DOS emulation. In fact many games run better using a combination of XP, and an XP Dos Sound Emulator that can be freely downloaded. A lot of older Dos games would never work with sound on my SBlive, with XP they often do.