What's new

N64 Geometry Extraction

Brian2

I am trying to extract some of the level geometry from goldeneye to help make some levels for a quake 3 mod I am working on. One way to do this would be to change the source of a graphics plugin that is capable of drawing goldeneye so that it outputs the vertex data. Then I could write a program to process the data and build the level from it. Is there an open source plugin that is capable of rendering goldeneye. Or perhaps a plugin writer would like to help us out? any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Hmm, extracting the vertex data is easy but i don't know, if it will be easy to rebuild the entire scene.
You just have to take a plugin and log the tr1 and tri2 commands.
For the plugin there's the tr64 open gl plugin (you can grab it in this board), the unofficial d3d daedalus plugin (in the download section of emu64.com ), the glide64 plugin and maybe others i can't remember ATM.

OP
B

Brian2

Ugh.. I can't figure this out. The unofficial daedalus plugin didn't show anything. I also tried the tr64 plugin and could only get some of the words to show. I tried all the ucodes. Is it goldeneye supposed to work with either of these?

(specs: 1.3ghz p4 geforce2 gts.. winxp)

-Brian

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Dunno if goldeneye is supported by one of these plugins but i'm almost sure that if it is not supported it's caused by texture problems. Maybe you can run the plugin (or modify it) in wireframe mode.

Remote

I'm quite sure it can't, Dave posted a screenshot stating that Goldeneye was supported, although a bit slow..., a while back, e.g after the release of 0.1.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Glide 0.1 does not support ge, unfortunaly. However, the newest private builds does. A new release isn't too far away.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Doomulation said:
Glide 0.1 does not support ge, unfortunaly. However, the newest private builds does. A new release isn't too far away.

then why did you tell him to use Glide64? he wants to extract models from GE.

Brian: yes, you would need a glide wrapper. i remember seeing it on http://www.emu64.com

Doomulation

pj64er said:

then why did you tell him to use Glide64? he wants to extract models from GE.

Brian: yes, you would need a glide wrapper. i remember seeing it on http://www.emu64.com
I told him it had wireframe.
I didn't know that it didn't support ge then. I asked dave later, duh. And maybe it could be of some help anyway. It's partially working as far as i know.

are you sure you want to run a plugin, convert its api bearing in mind its already running some pretty complex n64 conversions? i'd go for a d3d or ogl plugin

Doomulation

Brian2 said:
Hrmm... any idea how long it will be before it is released?

-Brian
Dave stated 2-3 weeks about 1 week ago.
But then, he has problems with fog, so I don't know. But that's the hints i can give you.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
the unofficial daedalus plugin 100% can play goldeneye, it has gfx issues and immense slowdown. i would use it in pj64, remember u need to download the daedalus.ini from the daedalus website, and move it into ur emu folder (NOT THE PLUGIN FOLDER) for the plugin to show gfx. also the gfx aernt perfect, due to a fog issue, but thats it as far as i remember. u probably will be able to do simething with that, but i dont think theres a wireframe option. plus its d3d, and not glide, more useful i guess than using a glide wrapper, although im not too sure how u do wat u wanna do cos im a bit thick. :) btw, i swear the are already goldeneye level designs for Quake3, the only prob was that the measurements were too small, so the level was really squashed. u could just take that, edit it in radiant, by just resizing the whole level, dunno havent touched quake radiant for a while.

StrmnNrmn

For what it's worth, I wrote a VRML scene exporter for Daedalus a few months back (while I was trying to chase down a really annoying clipping bug). I had a few problems getting the VRML renderer to pick up the scene textures, but otherwise it was pretty good. I extracted a couple of decent models of the n64 controller from Spiderman using it too. If there's much demand for it I can look at making it an option in the official release (whenever that's ready..).

One problem is that roms don't send the entire scene through the RSP to be rendered (usually just visible bits close to the viewpoint), so you might need to dump the scene at various points in the level and weld the geometry together.

StrmnNrmn

OP
B

Brian2

Sorry for the long response time.... I've been out of town a lot recently.

I tried goldeneye with the unofficial daedalus plugin with project64 and I see nothing in the levels..

The VRML scene exporter would be great!... And I'm aware that the entire scene is not rendered. My plan was to dump all the vertex data and make a program to build the level from it, which I don't think would be very difficult.

-Brian

StrmnNrmn

As a suggestion, have you tried running the plugin in 1964? I've heard that other people have had much better results. I've not tried Goldeneye in some time, so it's possible I've introduced a bug somewhere.

OP
B

Brian2

I get the same thing in 1964.. could be my setup I guess.. ugh

I posted this in the other forum, but.. I was trying to compile the daedalus graphics plugin today and got an error about the file "D3DRender_Combine.inl" Is that something I need, or am I missing something?

-Brian

Last edited: