What's new

Long Beep, then two short beeps

Josep

eyerun4phun
Ok, i'm building a friends computer, its an abit motherboard, kr7a-raid, just like mine, ok, when i start up, i get no picture from the moniter and i get that system beeping: a long beep, then two short ones, anyone have any idea what it could be? tested the video card on my computer(same mother board) and the video card is fine....

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
do u have an on board video?

Gimme some specs, hopefully i'll be able to find a manual from the product name u gave us...

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
yup, some guys just said on irc that my video card might not be plugged in all the way, hope to god its that easy;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, you just push it firmly into the slot, not too hard. If it goes down it must not have been in completely. As for the beeps, they aren't always the same for every motherboard (they usually are) but your manual can tell you exactly what the different beeps mean. Its a lot like morse code.

KingTom

aka "Passion"
my pooter did that too a few times: a high-pitched, then a medium-pitched and then a low pitched. i just hard booted the computer whenever it happened and it worked.
i have a Gfrce2MX400 as well

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hehe, ok it works, i didn't push the card in all the way! jeez, it was like milimeters off, i swear!:)

Trotterwatch

Yeah, the computer was actually clever in so far that the Bios bleeps to indicate exactly what the problem is.

I have heard of some Motherboards coming out with Speech explaining any BIOS problems - but I haven't seen as of yet (would be trippy though!).

DrKupo

Banned
no way. That would be wrong because it would need something to store the speech and that would be just one more place for viruses to hide.

Trotterwatch

http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,apn=13&s=1005&a=22995&app=11&ap=12,00.asp

http://www.google.com/search?q="Talking+BIOS"&btnG=Google+Search&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&safe=off

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...en&lr=&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&safe=off&start=10&sa=N

Also:

The ASUS Post Reporter is a cute little hardcoded utility that report back boot errors in the form of a friendly voice. Gone are the days of 'beep' diagnostics, because now the ASUS Post Reporter will tell you exactly what the problem is. If you have the reporter enabled in the BIOS, every time you system finishes the POST sequence you will hear "Post sequence completed, now booting to operating system". This bizarre feature first time around scared the hell out of me, but after a few more boots I started to enjoy its functionality. A also tested it out be removing the graphics card and CPU one at a time, and I wasn't surprised to be greeted with what I expected to hear!

A couple of links which have various mentions of the Talking Bios, plus a review of one Motherboard that already incorporates this technology. So, 'yes way' DrKupo :p

Last edited:

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
Lol, just imagine it saying: BLUE SCREEN ERROR. Fatal exception 0E at winnt. Please save your work, then press CTRL-ALT-DELETE.

Save work?? IN A BLUE SCREEN?? :p