What's new

About Donations (Just A Recommendation)

Leo Gets

I Feel that in the message 'how can i get beta-tester?' and Phantom replies with 'denominations of $100' u have just discouraged alot of people from offering a donatation at all.

A Canadian offering a donation of say $20.00 through PayPal will be be charged today $33.00 CDN.

My suggestion is that on the Donations Screen You add a message saying something to the effect; 'All donations no matter of domination will be excepted, but only those with a donation larger than $20.00US will be sent the link to download the beta test version(s).'

Upon exceptance of the PayPal contribution. The amount should be verified by someone prior to exceptance. It should at that instant be determined if the amount being excepted is equal to or greater than the amount posted to obtain the link to the beta test versions; and if warrented the contributer should be mailed the link immediately.

Hope u Take My Recommendation Under Consideration.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
hmm 20 is a lot.... BTW people arent sent a link, the application is compiled with the name and address inserted from a database and emailed out to the specific person... cunning :)

Shinji

Yea, I was gonna say, for 100 dollars you could buy 2 N64's. And thus no point in supporting N64 emulation since it's cositing you more than the actual system.

But I'm glad to see, that it wasn't the case.

Now I may reconsider making a donation.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Shinji said:
Yea, I was gonna say, for 100 dollars you could buy 2 N64's. And thus no point in supporting N64 emulation since it's cositing you more than the actual system.

But I'm glad to see, that it wasn't the case.

Now I may reconsider making a donation.

wtf? :angry: it's got nothing to do with how much the system costs.

Jfletcher

It's the thought that counts. Also, think how much unscrupulus people who have 800 N64 roms save ;) versus buying the real thing? 10, 20, 50 bucks for a donation, it doesn't matter, the roms don't cost anything....

Shinji

Smiff said:

wtf? :angry: it's got nothing to do with how much the system costs.

I realize that donations are simply out of generousity. But there is no point in donating 100+ dollars and get the beta release if it isn't 'up to par/or better than the console verison.

It's simple economics.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
No it's not economics. Beta testing is not pleasant for the developers but necessary for the quality of public releases the developers want... Project64 is not in competition with the original system any more than it's in competition with other emulators... it only worries about itself.

Twelve70

Shinji said:

I realize that donations are simply out of generousity. But there is no point in donating 100+ dollars and get the beta release if it isn't 'up to par/or better than the console verison.

It's simple economics.

Yes there is a point. The way you talk if you can get a N64 at a yard sale for $6 then you shouldn't donate more than that. The point is to donate to show the makers that you are behind them. It's not just to get a Beta version. I don't think that if you added up all the donations & divided by the number of hours they worked on it I bet it would come to less than a few bucks a hour.... maybe less.

Twelve70

Shinji

Well I guess it doesn't matter, as I was planning on donating 15 or 20 dollars anyways.

Because the developers never had to do a public release, so I'll probably donate because of that. Plus since I'm learning programming myself, I can understand the amount of time that is put into a big project like making a good emu.