What's new

Help Wanted

Azimer

Emulator Developer
As many know I am currently trying to emulate Banjo Tooie. Unfortunately, my V64JR is broken and I haven't a way to catalog all of the necessary commands to emulate it completely. What I need is someone who fits these descriptions and is willing to spend a bunch of time to assist me.

- Owns or can get a Banjo Tooie Cart
- Has access to a copy device (such as V64JR/CD64/Z64 etc) that doesn't require all roms to be burned to a CD (many rom variants are required for testing).

The following may also apply:
- TV Card installed on computer to allow capture from N64 output
- Adaptoid to allow dumping of mempack data (if above is not possible).

So if you are a dedicated person who is willing to help, please reply. I will give that person all WIP related to Banjo Tooie's development (I will implement it in their choice of open source emulator). Emulation is a cooperative effort and for me to do my part, I need someone to do theirs.

You can see the beginning of my work in the following thread. The number of commands I have been able to log are limited from the available information I have been able to aquire.
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&postid=50885#post50885

Thanks!

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
I'd love to help, but I only got a cd burner.
But I own the cart on the real, and do not have the choice to capture n64 output :/ only comp-->tv.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
why do you guys reply to say that you cant help?
I can either...
Azimer, why did you choose to modify pj64, but not apollo? Dont you know you own code better?

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
pj64er said:
why do you guys reply to say that you cant help?
I can either...
Azimer, why did you choose to modify pj64, but not apollo? Dont you know you own code better?

Apollo stalled before the title screen showing just a pond or something... so I decided to try it in PJ64 to see if it would work and it did. Now PJ64 has problems with bad TLB or bad ops or something. Now I am back to square one :(

If, by some miracle, someone knows how to fix this... let me know. lolz

Edit: The same screen shows in 1964... and no more.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Smiff said:
well azimer, what did you change... ;) sorry out of my depth

I just added a LUT to simulate the values returned from the chip in Tooie cart. This is not the best way to do it since I will have to catalog hundreds of commands. I am not an algorithm reverser, so it is very hard for me to decipher what the chip is doing to get this values. I think the best solution right now is to fix 1964 and Apollo and find how why 1964/Apollo get furthur then PJ64 and fix PJ64. I don't know what I will do once I am finished with the information. I thought, perhaps, it would be best to have someone knowledgable in algorithms take the input and output sequences and come up with an algorithm to prevent having to log every single command/return combination.

Hacktarux

Emulator Developer
Azimer said:

I thought, perhaps, it would be best to have someone knowledgable in algorithms take the input and output sequences and come up with an algorithm to prevent having to log every single command/return combination.

Why not publishing your LUT (or at least a little part of this). Not sure but i think that this is something that doesn't need any n64 knowledge to be understand and everyone with some algorithm knowledge can eventually understand that. (I don't say that this is easy, but it is something that is totally independant and after all maybe it's one of these things that are simple but needs a great idea).

conkerman

conkerman
u might want to ask lemmy or lac (forget which one). one of them is working on getting banjo tooie to work. i've sen from some screens that he's gotten further than what you have, maybe asking him a question or two would be a good idea...
conkerman

Reznor007

I have BanjoTooie, an N64 hooked up to my computer for vidcapture, I believe I can get a Dexdrive for pretty cheap to read a mempack, however, I don't have a ROM copier. If someone could loan/donate one to me I would gladly help out(I have a fair deal of spare time).

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
conkerman said:
u might want to ask lemmy or lac (forget which one). one of them is working on getting banjo tooie to work. i've sen from some screens that he's gotten further than what you have, maybe asking him a question or two would be a good idea...
conkerman

It wouldn't be helpful... they are never around and wouldn't want to share information they worked so hard to get. I may have found someone who can help me out. He is currently working on a test rom of his own and will get back to me. Thanks for your offer for help Reznor. It's much appreciated and if things don't work out, perhaps I will utilize it.

icepir8

Hey Azi,

I have V64jr, Banjo Tooie cart, an adptoid and a web cam. Is this all I need to help?

BTW: smiff, I deleted your post because of bad form.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
We'll talk on IRC so I can give you the low down. Perhaps you could be beneficial if ... well, we will discuss it on IRC.

icepir8 said:
Hey Azi,

I have V64jr, Banjo Tooie cart, an adptoid and a web cam. Is this all I need to help?

BTW: smiff, I deleted your post because of bad form.

conkerman

conkerman
a little OT, but for anyone reading this, azimer has made some progress and has posted some screenies running on his modified pj64 of banjo tooie. it's in screenshot submission, the glide64 topic.. page 5 and6, possibly 4 (?)
congrats azi
conkerman

sk8bloke22

roll for life
conkerman said:
a little OT, but for anyone reading this, azimer has made some progress and has posted some screenies running on his modified pj64 of banjo tooie. it's in screenshot submission, the glide64 topic.. page 5 and6, possibly 4 (?)
congrats azi
conkerman

look at the link in azi's first thread. :sleepy:

nah it does deserve a congratulation, just wondering, how well does it work in other plugin's...i dont know much about emulation. if the game is compatible on the core, and the gfx plugin is say, capable of playing banjo kazzoie (which quite a few are now), how likely would it work on that gfx plugin? if thats a dumb question, plz feel free to slap me.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Hacktarux said:

Why not publishing your LUT (or at least a little part of this). Not sure but i think that this is something that doesn't need any n64 knowledge to be understand and everyone with some algorithm knowledge can eventually understand that. (I don't say that this is easy, but it is something that is totally independant and after all maybe it's one of these things that are simple but needs a great idea).

Yes, I think this would be a good idea. I may not be the best cryptanalyst in the world, but I would love to take a shot at it. I'm sure others would, as well.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I have one of the best on the job at deciphering the code... and I trust him with my life (well... my emulation life at least).

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
OK, granted, experience with cracking codes is a big plus, but, like Hacktarux said, "maybe it's one of these things that are simple but needs a great idea".