What's new

sdl2 input problem without window manager

rome1931

I have an htpc running ubnutu 14.04 minimal with xbmc. Problem is mupen64plus wont accept input from my wireless xbox 360 controller without a window manager. When I run mupen64plus from the terminal its says 2 sdl joysticks detected and says no rumble support, but wont accept input. I install openbox and now it works. I remember using 13.04 minimal without this problem. Also i'm using xboxdrv.

F

Fanatic 64

Well then it seems you solved it. Anything else we can assist with?

Richard42

Emulator Developer
If it's an SDL2 limitation then there's nothing that you can do in mupen64plus to get around it. We don't have any input plugins which work with any other frameworks. Can you try it with an SDL 1 library?

OP
R

rome1931

I installed 1.99-5 and it works.
Can you give me instructions on how to do it with the SDL 1 library?

Moshroum

It is a bug when it works with SDL1. Because applications must hint the joystick subsystem that they want non-keyboard-focus events from joysticks (which you most likely don't have when having no window manager). This can be done with SDL_HINT_JOYSTICK_ALLOW_BACKGROUND_EVENTS. You can change this behavior with SDL_SetHint(SDL_HINT_JOYSTICK_ALLOW_BACKGROUND_EVENTS, "1"); before calling SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK|.....

But I think that the no-focus-no-event is sane and should stay that way.

- - - Updated - - -

It is a bug when it works with SDL1. Because applications must hint the joystick subsystem that they want non-keyboard-focus events from joysticks (which you most likely don't have when having no window manager). This can be done with SDL_HINT_JOYSTICK_ALLOW_BACKGROUND_EVENTS. You can change this behavior with SDL_SetHint(SDL_HINT_JOYSTICK_ALLOW_BACKGROUND_EVENTS, "1"); before calling SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_JOYSTICK|.....

But I think that the no-focus-no-event is sane and should stay that way.

OP
R

rome1931

Thanks I installed 1.99.5 and it works with out the window manager. I might compile 2.0 with the changes and see if it works.