What's new

Buggy Graphics in Zelda Games

Lazypsudeonym

Hi, all at EmuTalk.

This problem has probably already been presented, and if it has, I do apologise, and please direct me to wherever I should be. If not, woohoo, I have a unique problem, like all of the other eleven pages on this bit of forum.

Anyway, down to brass tacks.

I have Mupen64Plus 2.0. Whenever I boot into either of the major Zelda games (Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask), some of the polygons will flicker across the screen, especially during cutscenes. I've tried altering the Rice refresh rate, to no avail. At the bottom of the post are some screenshots of both with the flickers.

If it helps, I can tell you guys where and how I acquired my copies, seeing as there was no pirating or any other legal no-nos involved, but if that'll earn me a ban or a slap on the wrist from the mods, I'll just keep it to myself.

EDIT: I've progressed further in the game, and the graphical errors are present throughout, including in regular gameplay. It doesn't prevent actual play, but it is a nuisance.

EDIT EDIT: Many graphics based features like Pictographs and the Bomber's notebook are graphicallly absent from the game. This might actually prevent 100% playthrough.

Attachments

• the_legend_of_zelda-054.png
    the_legend_of_zelda-054.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 178
  • the_legend_of_zelda-055.png
    the_legend_of_zelda-055.png
    131.3 KB · Views: 174
  • the_legend_of_zelda-056.png
    the_legend_of_zelda-056.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 157
  • the_legend_of_zelda-083.png
    the_legend_of_zelda-083.png
    202.3 KB · Views: 145
  • zelda_majora's_mask-053.png
    zelda_majora's_mask-053.png
    327 KB · Views: 170
  • zelda_majora's_mask-055.png
    zelda_majora's_mask-055.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 154
  • zelda_majora's_mask-064.png
    zelda_majora's_mask-064.png
    176.6 KB · Views: 158
  • zelda_majora's_mask-067.png
    zelda_majora's_mask-067.png
    296.3 KB · Views: 159
  • zelda_majora's_mask-072.png
    zelda_majora's_mask-072.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 156
  • zelda_majora's_mask-077.png
    zelda_majora's_mask-077.png
    373.7 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

What is your graphics card?

Also, if you downloaded the ROM from the internet, don't tell us where.

OP
Lazypsudeonym

Lazypsudeonym

It should be an ATI / AMD (Radeon) HD 3200 integrated card. At least, the same model with a different shell has that card.

No, no, nothing of the sort. A good, old fashioned hand dump from a GameCube copy of Collector's Edition and a modded Wii.

F

Fanatic 64

I remember an ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 had that problem but worse with Rice Video. Try using Glide64.

And in what country did you buy that disc?

OP
Lazypsudeonym

Lazypsudeonym

How would I go about using Glide instead of Rice?

Also, can I still use texture packs with it? US-NTSC.

EDIT: Alright, I found how to use Glide64, and other than a few new audio glitches, it runs much better. However, the Pictograph and Bomber's Notebook functions still don't work. Can that be fixed?

Last edited:

V1del

Do you have framebuffer effects (FBO Wrapper in glide64mk2) enabled? Which glide64 are you using? The new one glide64mk2 or the older variant? Switch to the newer if you're still using the old one. It should work with proper framebuffer support and the default INI should already set the correct default flags (check that fb_smart = 1 resp smart framebuffer is set). Updating drivers seldom hurts

Last edited:
OP
Lazypsudeonym

Lazypsudeonym

I switched to Mk2 and just about everything works. I have a little trouble with my controller and some flickering with some overlaying textures (roads, leaves on the ground, etc.), odd colouration with pictograph and select state, but nothing bad at all. I have FBO off and Smart on. What do you mean by updating drivers seldom hurts? Can I use any of the texture packs that Djipi made with this? Thank you so much for your help.

V1del

I think you can enable FBO even on ATIs now, play with that to check if this fixes pictograph/lense of truth, by updating drivers i mean go to the AMD page and check if there are driver updates for your card, yes you can use djipi's packs with this, refer to the last post in http://www.emutalk.net/threads/55076-Help!-Glide64mk2-amp-m64py-Were-is-the-texture-pack-dir to know where you have to extract the .dat into and my later post for necessary cfg settings in http://www.emutalk.net/threads/54978-Glide64mk2-hi-res-texture-locations-on-osx

Last edited:
OP
Lazypsudeonym

Lazypsudeonym

Alright, thanks. I played with the FBO settings and it didn't do anything. I tried to update my drivers, and it nearly bricked my system as it is. That wil definitely be useful, but is there a place to put the PNG files of the older Hi-Res texture packs? It also occurred to me that it might be helpful if you could see the error.

Attachments

• zelda_majora's_mask-001.png
    zelda_majora's_mask-001.png
    277.2 KB · Views: 846
F

Fanatic 64

Looks like bad framebuffer emulation. Try messing with the framebuffer settings (Primary Emulation, Hardware Emulation and Read Every Frame, though that last one may slow down the emulator a lot).

OP
Lazypsudeonym

Lazypsudeonym

Okay, I've tried all of the settings labeled FB, and nothing seemed to affect it. Where are those settings in Glide Mk II? I don't see those anywhere.

V1del

Either edit the glide64mk2.ini were the fb_smart (which should already be set for majora's) as well as the fb_read_always option (should be in the DEFAULT section) are present and flip that to 1, or install a more recent version of the plugin (from source) and run it once which will add all configurable options to the mupen64plus.cfg. as warned this can result in massive slowdown.

Last edited: