What's new

Black background when pausing the game in Ocarina of Time

Orotawuk

I'm using PJ64 2.1 with Jabo's D3D8 plugin. Just found that when running OoT under full screen mode, sometimes the background becomes black if I pause the game. This doesn't happen in windowed mode. Also the problem apparently doesn't exist if Link is in open field area (e.g. Hyrule field, final battle field), even under full screen mode.

F

Fanatic 64

That's a normal problem. If it bothers you try another plugin like Glide64.

OP
O

Orotawuk

Thx. I'll give it a try. But is there any major pros and cons of using Glide64 compared to Jabo? (at least for this game and Majora's Mask?)

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Glide64 is usually the far better alternative, provided that your graphics card can handle it.

OP
O

Orotawuk

Tried Glide64. On my computer it leads to glitch in windowed mode. Seems ok in full screen mode but I can't set it to an aspect ratio of 4:3.
For Jabo's D3D8, seems that the black background problem can be solved by setting the FSAA lower (for me I've changed from 4X to 2X)

OP
O

Orotawuk

Some mistakes in my previous post. For Glide64 I can get a 4:3 AR in full screen but then the background to the pause menu becomes white and Link's sprite can't be shown at all.
For Jabo plugin, the black background problem has got nothing to do with FSAA. It's merely related to the full screen mode. And the problem only exists at the beginning of emulation. It automatically gets fixed after several times of pausing the game.

Mik35150

Jabo and rice plugins in my opinion don't handle full screen at HD resolutions, Glide64 is you best way to go especially if you plan on loading or dumping textures.

F

Fanatic 64

Jabo and rice plugins in my opinion don't handle full screen at HD resolutions
What?

Jabo, Rice, Glide, etc all can use whatever resolution your graphics card and monitor support at full screen.

And the OP probably has outdated graphics drivers or something like that.