What's new

programming challenges

mesman00

What's that...?
does anyone know any sites where they have problems that are to be solved by writing programs. just wondering, it would be cool when your bored.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
it would be indeed, I hate programming for fun, I need a project to work on (someone elses idea, not my own) or else I never feel like completing it

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I have a challenge for you...

1. Write your own MP3 decompression code and optimize it.
2. Write your own program to give you the correct value of Pi to the nth decimal place.
3. Write an innovative AI to simulate a prostitute and interface it with FUFME.
4. Take Project64 and make Banjo Tooie work.

Any more ideas needed ?

conkerman

conkerman
try to code a gamecube emu and make it be able to run ps2 games full speed.... that should take a while haha
conkerman

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
Azimer said:
2. Write your own program to give you the correct value of Pi to the nth decimal place.

I already tried that in Turbo C 2.0 (DOS) a couple months ago... I got stuck on FARMALLOC'ing the necessary memory... ;)

[added] Wait a minute... I did find a programming challenge site, with an official competition, but I don't remember the name / URL / etc :angry:

Cyberman

There are a few such sites but.. here are some challenges for you in any case:

Make a functional FTP client that can work with Microsoft NT FTP server (heh this sucks trying to do!).

make a text only HTML browser ( to start with at least). Has to have clickable URLS ;)

Cyb

gokuss4

Meh...
create your own input plugin for the n64 or if you want a sound plugin. dont do a graphics plugin yet. you need to study the api you want to code in ;).

OP
mesman00

mesman00

What's that...?
well, it seems like these are all good request, but they may take alot more time than what i had in mind, i was just talkin about dopey little problems that might take an hour or two to solve, but anyways, cool.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Ya know, I think I'm going to try that Pi calculator. I think I've got a math book somwhere with an entire chapter on calculating Pi...

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
You could also try the number "e" (euler) In my math book the explain how to calculate those values (i even had to learn them for my Math test's AAAAAAAAARGH)