PDA

View Full Version : Rights of Pack authors

NES_player4LIFE
February 5th, 2013, 02:06
This thread is being created for the use of debating the intentions of the authors of High Resolution Texture packs.

There will be no foul language.
There will be no disrespect among posters.

NES_player4LIFE
February 5th, 2013, 02:08
The problem is Dijipi pretty much only wants:
1. That his texture pack is only distributed (and maybe even used) as he published it (without modifications/fixes/derivations/etc), and;
2. That it is only usable with Glide64.
And I know hardly any license which allows such conditions. So Dijipi should either make a more specific/clear license, or drop those conditions altogether.
I can understand where you are coming from and I can agree with your last statement, but the choice remains with author.

It has always been an unspoken rule that texture packs are to be used within the wishes of it's author('s).

Texture pack authors are given complete say on how and if there packs are to be edited. Some people spend years of their lives working of these packs for the enjoyment of others.

There has never been a need for authors to license their work as most users play fair and don't steal textures to improve their public packs, if a user wishes to use a certain texture they ask for permission before taking ownership of that data.
If on the other hand the author says at the time of data editing that he/she doesn't want their data redistributed; then it's the responsibility of the user to keep any revisions made for private use only.
It is also the responsibility of this community to respect the authors intentions. Data sealed at the time when it was imposable to hack a Dat file should remain sealed as it is the implied wish of the author.
I myself have called for a program to unlock dat files, now that code exists and I have no issue with that but it should be used for private use unless the author says that their work may be unlocked.

Fanatic 64
February 5th, 2013, 02:26
Another problem I noticed, trough, is that Dijipi explicitly stated that he doesn't want anyone using his texture pack with any version of Rice Video, regardless of any redistribution of the pack. Since the chose of a video plugin is part of private use, where would this condition fall on?

NES_player4LIFE
February 5th, 2013, 13:58
Yes as rice video at the time of the pack release was buggier then glide64.

I would say if a user wishes they may extract the glide cache and use the textures for rice video as it was already stated that there was no terms of use set forth.
This reminds me of the issues we have had when users plugged RiceVideo into Pj64, RiceVideo was made exclusively for 1964 much like Glide64 was intended for Mupen64. Users wanted to interchange plugins and they did/do (I know that I do, and I use Rice on PJ64, Jabo on 1964 and glide64 on everything in between).
But when a user plugs glide64 into PJ64 of 1964 he takes responsibility for any issues that arise because he is now using an unsupported plugin.

The issue at hand is not whether to use these textures for rice video or any other High res plugin; but is the modifying the pack and uploading.
I sure Dijipi doesn't want hundreds of PM's asking him why his pack won't work properly on an plugin that he never intended to support.
Also I know that he doesn't want his textures to be used in other packs for improvements of said packs.

Djipi
February 5th, 2013, 14:25
I totally agree with you NES_player4LIFE .

My wish was to distribute for Glide only my work that take me long time to do.And only for that , it's normal that people must respect my choice.

I have never had one Private message to tell me if i can redo or improve the pack.

You want to unpack the dat? for private using you can do what you want but keep in mind that one man made this work alone and had wishes fot distributing his work for others.

I hope everybody can respect that. . .

DETOMINE
February 5th, 2013, 16:58
I fully understand your statement.
But as you certainly know Glide is not updated anymore...

Moshroum
February 6th, 2013, 09:43
I have never had one Private message to tell me if i can redo or improve the pack.

The thread "Merry Xmas: OOT 2011 and MM 2001" is full of it. Should I copy all and sent it to you as PM?

mrmudlord
February 6th, 2013, 23:45
I fully understand your statement.
But as you certainly know Glide is not updated anymore...

Right so:
* no assembler to C conversion
* no source cleanup
* no mupen64plus port

that doesnt exist, right?

Fanatic 64
February 7th, 2013, 00:34
Right so:
* no source cleanup
* no mupen64plus port

that doesnt exist, right?
* a Glide to Direct3D conversion would be more useful
* I don't think it needs a cleanup
* a port of an outdated version

Moshroum
February 7th, 2013, 07:39
* a Glide to Direct3D conversion would be more useful

You seem to be soooo wise. Let us follow your vision and mess it up.

* I don't think it needs a cleanup

Leave that to someone which actually can code and knows what he does. You cant even compile a basic program without special dependencies.

* a port of an outdated version

It is a port of the last available release of Glide64 (aka "Final") including patches from mudlord. Where is the other release/repository with the wonderful additions which make this version outdated?

DETOMINE
February 7th, 2013, 09:07
Right so:
* no source cleanup
* no mupen64plus port
That's good to know, I thought the project was abandoned a long time ago.
Sorry about that. Where can we download the new version? Is it only compatible with mupen64plus?

V1del
February 7th, 2013, 11:43
That's good to know, I thought the project was abandoned a long time ago.
Sorry about that. Where can we download the new version? Is it only compatible with mupen64plus?

https://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2/overview

Yes it's only compatible with m64plus (hg or latest beta)

Fanatic 64
February 7th, 2013, 18:43
You seem to be soooo wise. Let us follow your vision and /uck it up.
Well, I'm not lying. If Glide64 needs something, it is to get rid of archaic graphic libraries.

And the gratuitous insult wasn't necessary.

Leave that to someone which actually can code and knows what he does. You cant even compile a basic program without special dependencies.
What I mean is that a cleanup is not the highest priority with Glide64.

I can make a very basic program and compile any program in Visual Studio, without "special dependencies" (except the D3D SDK, if compiling a graphic plugin). Again this is a gratuitous insult.

It is a port of the last available release of Glide64 (aka "Final") including patches from mudlord. Where is the other release/repository with the wonderful additions which make this version outdated?
It is a port of Glide64 Napalm V1.22, which is far from the Final version of Glide64.

Moshroum
February 7th, 2013, 19:32
It is a port of Glide64 Napalm V1.22, which is far from the Final version of Glide64.

Did you had some accident in the past which cause major brain damages? This is r282 aka "Final" + some extra patches. https://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2/commits/95430f8bab1162d97d9391105078028126bcf689 + https://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2/commits/dd90b84a15e93396ab26619239cd5d8e765cb8df

Compare it with http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/source/list

Fanatic 64
February 7th, 2013, 19:44
Did you had some accident in the past which cause major brain damages? This is r282 aka "Final" + some extra patches. https://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2/commits/95430f8bab1162d97d9391105078028126bcf689 + https://bitbucket.org/richard42/mupen64plus-video-glide64mk2/commits/dd90b84a15e93396ab26619239cd5d8e765cb8df

Compare it with http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/source/list
Last time I checked it was based on Napalm. They must have updated it.

And is there any particular reason why you keep on throwing insults at me?

Moshroum
February 7th, 2013, 20:57
And is there any particular reason why you keep on throwing insults at me?

I cannot cope with your unbelievable wisdom, you knowledge about everything, your incredable mastery of coding, your fantastic developments in the rdp emulation and your staggering impeccability. I am such a nogoodnik compared to this reborn god. My eyes are blinded by the lights shining from your phoenix like appearance. I am not worthy to use the same websites as you and had to compensate my imperfection by using this filthy language.

death--droid
February 7th, 2013, 21:27
"* a Glide to Direct3D conversion would be more useful"
As good as it would be to do, it would be much easier for a developer to create a completely new plugin then have to deal with the amount of problems that would creep up all through the code seeing as it was and still is designed to run on a mixment of stuff and rely's one a darn wrapper to work properly. And at that I've always found Glide to always screw up on me and never to function as it should

Fanatic 64
February 7th, 2013, 22:00
I cannot cope with your unbelievable wisdom, you knowledge about everything, your incredable mastery of coding, your fantastic developments in the rdp emulation and your staggering impeccability. I am such a nogoodnik compared to this reborn god. My eyes are blinded by the lights shining from your phoenix like appearance. I am not worthy to use the same websites as you and had to compensate my imperfection by using this filthy language.

Well, you can keep insulting as long as you want. It's the same. I actually think it brings some life to the forum, since it's always everything so serious and respectful...

Toasty
February 7th, 2013, 23:19
I am not worthy to use the same websites as you...Continue discussing this thread's participants rather than its topic, and your assertion may be enforced...

NES_player4LIFE
February 7th, 2013, 23:27
Easy ladies focus your emotions I don't care if it is that time of the month, I created this thread to exhaust a few thoughts about texture packs belonging to both dev and user.

The next person to throw mud will be banned.

Moshroum
February 8th, 2013, 07:42
Easy ladies focus your emotions I don't care if it is that time of the month, I created this thread to exhaust a few thoughts about texture packs belonging to both dev and user.

The next person to throw mud will be banned.

How should we discuss here? Do you remember the history? First the mods here tell that it is ok to redistribute the pack, then I've said it is not ok because the author never gave them permission to do so, but the mod insist that it is ok (and also added it must be ok because it is not Rice compatible and so a Rice compatible pack is good and therefore must be ok). So I republished it and the thread was deleted. No, not the links were removed, but the complete thread was deleted. How should anyone discuss it properly with this hypocrisy in mind?

NES_player4LIFE
February 8th, 2013, 23:14
How should we discuss? Without insults.
Yes, this site has always been for redistributing unmodified texture packs as a service to the authors of packs however, we ask users not to modify the packs.

The author/mod closed and deleted your post as he did not okay the release of the pack.

Believe me when I say that I want rice users to use this pack, but users must decompress there own copy of the pack dat.
If a user rips his own dat he will be with in his rights and the texture pack keep their integrity and quality.
This option has already been agreed to

You want to unpack the dat? for private using you can do what you want but keep in mind that one man made this work alone and had wishes fot distributing his work for others.

Moshroum
October 6th, 2014, 09:21
Believe me when I say that I want rice users to use this pack, but users must decompress there own copy of the pack dat.

This doesn't seem to work because the moderators now started to delete threads which explain how to uncompress dat files (the tutorial by LANdroid). Even when tthis thread didn't mention Djipis work and argued exactly with your words.

EDIT: Thread was now fully restored by death--droid

ExtremeDude2
October 6th, 2014, 15:21
No they didn't >.>

NES_player4LIFE
October 7th, 2014, 00:07
We had to edit the thread to comply with forum standards. During that time the thread may have been unavailable.
If the artists or staff have an issue with this decision please contact me.

I would like to thank LANdroid for his hard work and information.
Play fair all.

Fanatic 64
October 7th, 2014, 01:38
No they didn't >.>
Yes, Dijipi said he deleted it.

ExtremeDude2
October 12th, 2014, 02:09
I said they, that implies more than one person

Fanatic 64
October 12th, 2014, 03:11
I said they, that implies more than one person
vBulletin does not have a Collective Delete button.

NES_player4LIFE
October 12th, 2014, 03:34
vBulletin does not have a Collective Delete button.

Are you so sure? :whistling

Fanatic 64
October 12th, 2014, 07:21
Are you so sure? :whistling
How would that work? Would you wait for X amount of moderators to press it before deleting the thread?

And vBulletin's moderation system isn't exactly a secret. I could install a copy on localhost and try it out myself.
(I do know though, you have a secret moderator's subforum, even if you won't admit to it.)

Toasty
October 13th, 2014, 00:26
(I do know though, you have a secret moderator's subforum, even if you won't admit to it.)
I must categorically deny that this is so. Many have speculated as to the existence of a supposed "secret moderator's subforum" but all such speculations are hasty conclusions drawn from perfectly innocuous phenomena like weather balloons and swamp gas. There is no secret moderator subforum -- none at all.

OMG GUYZ HE NOES!!! TIME TO BAIL OUT!!!!! :o

Fanatic 64
October 13th, 2014, 03:12
Oh yeah? Then what's this (http://www.emutalk.net/forums/3)? It tells me I don't have permission to access, but until you explain it or I get made a mod and see for myself, I going to assume it's your secret little board ;)

NES_player4LIFE
October 13th, 2014, 03:53
People always tend to be afraid of the unknown, they come to wild conclusions.:satisfied

Please take your conspiracy theory's to another forum and thread such as Talk of the town (http://www.emutalk.net/forums/20-Talk-of-the-Town).
"Please don't ask to become a Moderator or act as such"...

Fanatic 64
October 13th, 2014, 04:29
I was joking, there are like 20 boards that return the same message. Can't be all (if any) staff boards.

And I don't have any particular hurry to become a moderator. I just meant, if I ever were one :saint:

On-topic: Maybe we should have an actual post detailing some of the rights for pack authors?

NES_player4LIFE
October 14th, 2014, 13:48
On-topic: Maybe we should have an actual post detailing some of the rights for pack authors?

Once we get this .Dat hacking issue solved we'll post an announcement to the top of this forum.