What's new

Help installing video card

garboy

Some One
i just got my video card and no matter how many times i try to install it,it wont go in completely...the plate on the side of the video card doesnt go down enough to screw it down...please help!

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
do you know the difference between PCI and APG? Those are the 2 different type of cards, so reply and tell us if you know which one you bought and if you system is compatible with that type.

:)

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
ok, brand make and model number please, also have you ever installed a PC card before?

From what you say (metal plate not going down far enough) you may have to cut the end off the plate for it to fit. If you have a web cam or a digital camera a picture would help me out.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
well it looks normal enough. Look between you motherboard and the case to see if theres anything in the way, if there is carefully use a toothpick (or other non-metal object) to remove whats in the way.

If your mother boards too close to the casing look for the screws attaching the motherboard to the case, just lightly unscrew them and move the motherboard to a good spot and lightly retughten them.

If neither of those are the case (or theres nothing obstructing the metal plate) just force the card in, with my GF2 I had to put about 60% of my weight on the card. If you try this watch the card, they can crack if too much pressure is applied.

if you want to go with a purely safe way just cut 1/3rd of the metal off the plate on the bottom and see if she'll slide in.

Do eveything slowly and don't rush. Most first-time installers rush through stuff and aren't careful with the equipement.

OP
G

garboy

Some One
ok i just unscrewed my mb and no matter how much i move it,it wont go down all the way...what if i cut it and itstill doesnt work?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
i donno, you won't be able to return it, maybe you should bring it to a computer store and ask them what you should do, just don't let them do it, once they explain what needs to be done say thnx pick up all your stuff and do it @ home :)

OP
G

garboy

Some One
Yay!I unscrewed my mb and rescrewed it in..and installed my video card and it fit in perfectly yay!THanx for all your help :)