What's new

Another Ogre Battle 64 Question...

OvertNi

Hey my name is OvertNi, I'm new to these forums. But I've been doing a lot of searching on them since I discovered them a couple days ago.

I've known about emulation for a long time, but only took a serious interest in it after I decided to start playing an old favorite of mine, Ogre Battle 64. I still own both the game cartridge, and an N64 system. However, I have no television, or at least one that I can use comfortably. I downloaded Ogre Battle 64 and project64 1.6 and played that for awhile. The battle backgrounds(and some others) were always missing, but for the most part the game ran pretty well. The missing backgrounds just ruin the experience though. I resolved to just ignore it, but then a few days ago I got an error during one mission, and it caused me to have to restart the entire mission over again. That's when I got fed up. I'm here now, in hopes that there is someone who can help me.

Does anyone know how to get the game running virtually error free? I checked around, it looks like I'm not the first one who's had problems(thus the title of the thread). I actually tried several of the solutions posted on here. Thus far none of them have worked. I think it's because for some of the solutions you need very specific video memory? Or maybe it's because the instructions for where to put the plugins wasn't specific enough? Or for whatever reason they didn't work? Forgive me I went through many threads, and can't recall the exact reasons why each attempt I made to fix the game failed, or if I even discovered the reason each attempt failed.

I already tried the solution on the N64 Config List site, but the glide64 doesn't seem like it will work with my laptop.

Here are the specs for my laptop:

Acer Aspire V3-571G-6443

Intel Core I3-2370M

Nvidia GeForce GT 630M with 1GB Dedicated VRAM

8Gb DDR3 Memory

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Last edited:
F

Fanatic 64

Project64 GameFAQ said:
Why can I not progress to Map 6 or beyond?
Apparently there was an error in GoodN64 for a long time that incorrectly identified a bad dump of this ROM as Good: [!] . Therefore, you need to redump this ROM yourself or obtain a newer copy and newer version of GoodN64.
Apparently you got a bad copy of this game. Try getting another copy and make sure it says "[!]" on the title (if it doesn't work, try another, and so on).

And you should be able to run Glide64 with those specs...

OP
O

OvertNi

Apparently you got a bad copy of this game. Try getting another copy and make sure it says "[!]" on the title (if it doesn't work, try another, and so on).

And you should be able to run Glide64 with those specs...

I'm fairly certain it's not that simple, from what I've read. But I will listen to your suggestion and find a copy with the [!] in the name. I will also try getting glide 64 again. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm fairly certain this is more complicated than that.

dazey238

I'm fairly certain it's not that simple, from what I've read. But I will listen to your suggestion and find a copy with the [!] in the name. I will also try getting glide 64 again. But I'm not holding my breath. I'm fairly certain this is more complicated than that.

What are the problems you are having running Glide? You've said it doesn't work on your laptop but can you be specific about the problem so that we can try and give you some help?

Glide64 was originally designed for 3dfx Voodoo cards, but it comes with a 'wrapper' so that it can be made to work with all graphics cards. You should download the 'Final' version from the Google code page -

http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If he has an Intel graphics chip in his laptop, chances are that Glide64 doesn't work with it.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yeah, I've heard similar reports before. Sadly, most Intel chips don't make the cut.

dazey238

Years ago, i remember that the Intel 810/830 integrated graphics that typically accompanied Pentium 3 motherboards were particularly woeful, and I remember having to use a combination of an early version of Glide64 and eVoodoo to get working video in Project64.

I also remember that the Intel 845GL/865GL/GE integrated graphics were supposedly problematic although personally I found these to be fine.

No idea about the newer ones although I seem to recall that the Intel OpenGL implementation was always rather sketchy and the Glide wrappers tend to use OpenGL rather than Direct3D to convert the Glide calls.....

OP
O

OvertNi

My computer has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M Graphics card....however, it does have an integrated graphics card as well. And that graphics card is the Intel HD 3000....When I saw Glide didn't work...I mean I put it in the Project 64 Folder..and nothing changed.

I also can't find Glide 64 "Final" Like the N64 Config site says. Where is this "Final"? What are they talking about? What version on this websites download area should I use?

So here is what I think I'm suppose to do. I just downloaded Glide final. I think I'm suppose to go to program files(x86) and just drop the glide64.dll application extension in the project64 1.6 folder. Am I right? Or do I need the configuration file dropped in as well? Or do I need the entire Glide64 folder I downloaded dropped in? I don't really know..I'm not savvy with this kind of thing.

Last edited:

dazey238

My computer has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M Graphics card....however, it does have an integrated graphics card as well. And that graphics card is the Intel HD 3000....When I saw Glide didn't work...I mean I put it in the Project 64 Folder..and nothing changed.

I also can't find Glide 64 "Final" Like the N64 Config site says. Where is this "Final"? What are they talking about? What version on this websites download area should I use?

So here is what I think I'm suppose to do. I just downloaded Glide final. I think I'm suppose to go to program files(x86) and just drop the glide64.dll application extension in the project64 1.6 folder. Am I right? Or do I need the configuration file dropped in as well? Or do I need the entire Glide64 folder I downloaded dropped in? I don't really know..I'm not savvy with this kind of thing.

Right.

Go here - http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list
Download Glide64_Final.zip
From the compressed file, copy all files in the 'Plugin' folder into your Project64 'Plugin' folder
Copy the file glide3x.dll from the 'Wrapper' folder into your Project64 folder
Start Project64 as normal
Select Glide64 as the Graphics plugin.
Read Bighead's N64 Config page and apply any necessary settings to the plugin or the emulator for the game.
Enjoy. Or come back here if you have problems!

Last edited:
OP
O

OvertNi

Right.

Go here -
From the compressed file, copy all files in the 'Plugin' folder into your Project64 'Plugin' folder
Copy the file glide3x.dll from the 'Wrapper' folder into your C:\Windows\System32 folder
Read Bighead's N64 Config page and apply any necessary settings to the plugin or the emulator for the game.

It's funny, I tried copying all files from the plugin folder into the plugin folder(from the project 64 folder) and that didn't work. But then I copied them all into the Project 64 Folder directly, and that worked. Now the backgrounds are there! Thankyou for the help everyone! I think it's finally working! XD I'm so excited I could scream!

Also dazey, I didn't touch the wrapper folder. What does that do?

F

Fanatic 64

Define them, the intel HD 3000/4000?

Intel HD Graphics 2000/3000/4000

Right.

Go here - http://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list
Copy the file glide3x.dll from the 'Wrapper' folder into your C:\Windows\System32 folder

Putting glide3x.dll in System32 can crash the program. You should put in in C:\Program Files (x86)\Project64 1.6.

dazey238

It's funny, I tried copying all files from the plugin folder into the plugin folder(from the project 64 folder) and that didn't work. But then I copied them all into the Project 64 Folder directly, and that worked. Now the backgrounds are there! Thankyou for the help everyone! I think it's finally working! XD I'm so excited I could scream!

Also dazey, I didn't touch the wrapper folder. What does that do?

Glad to hear you got it working! It may be that your copy of Project64 is looking in its root folder for plugins - generally it uses the plugin folder, but you have it working and that's the main thing.

You need the glide3x.dll from the Wrapper folder because Glide64 uses a rather ancient graphics framework called Glide which only used to work with 3dfx Voodoo cards. Glide is perfect for N64 emulation though! The file glide3x.dll interprets the calls to Glide and converts them into OpenGL, which your more modern Graphics Card CAN understand, and hence displays an almost-accurate representation of what you would see if you had a 3dfx card installed in your machine. It's not perfect, but it does the job - you can get more insight if you read the Release Notes for Glide64 Final.

The glide3x.dll is a common file to all different kinds of Glide wrappers that have been produced over the years, so I can only imagine that you have an older version on your system for some reason - best to make a copy of it and use the one that came with Glide64 Final, but if everything works ok there's no harm in leaving it in place until you encounter any issues......