What's new

project64 performance issues

strangeaeons

I'm having a graphic issue with either the project64 application, or my computer. my laptop isn't heavy duty, but seeing as though the program has worked fine in the past on operating systems from 5 years ago I have no idea what the problem may be.

so, whenever I play a game (Ocarina of Time for example) the surfaces aren't displayed properly. dirt trails, grass, and the like are replaced with a static smooth display. in the distance they're shown, but as soon as I walk over them their gone again.

any help would be much appreciated. and I apologize in advance if the issue turns out to be some minor problem easily fixed

You post a game issue and don't mention your PC specs? Really unbelievable. Anyway, I'll use my psychic powers and say that you have a crappy IGP and it's not going to be able to work for gaming of any kind.

OP
S

strangeaeons

processor - Intel Celeron CPU B815 1.60GHz
3 gigs of RAM
System type - 64-bit Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium

buddy, I just want to get my Zelda on

Intel HD Graphics Family. which sounds just lightweight enough to maybe validate your first post

You still didn't list your GPU info specifically enough. Here we are 7 posts in and you still haven't provided the right information. Anyway, I give up and you probably should too. Look at my signature, that's what you'd want to do with your specs.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Try Jabos' Direct3D6 plugin included with Project64. Most Intel's integrated graphics chips (no matter how "HD" some of them are supposed to be) have issues with Project64's default graphics plugin. Intel's chips aren't known for their stellar performance with emulators that use 3D graphics.

Last edited:

Clements

The CPU is Sandy Bridge so you'd expect that the integrated graphics would be okay for this kind of thing, but perhaps the graphics driver quality is a bit low here so you're getting glitches with the default plugin. Definitely try the D3D6 plugin as Agozer suggested as that has lower requirements and the compatibility is still pretty good for the popular games.

Toasty

Sony battery
@Starscream: Let's play Be Patient With The Newcomer, hmm? We don't all share your staggering insight. ;)

Toasty

Sony battery
Really, in a single post each, two other users have provided more pertinent advice to the OP than I have in two and than you have in four, so if we were to rank who's least "worth talking to" here, I believe you'd take the crown, with me being the runner up. This isn't a competition worthy of either of us though, so I suggest we quit before our ranking increases further.

OP
S

strangeaeons

Much thanks to Clements, Agozer, and Toasty. It seems some people don't get annoyed with typing a word or two of help for an idiot girl like me :p

Last edited:
Much thanks to Clements, Agozer, and Toasty. It seems some people don't get annoyed with typing a word or two of help for an idiot girl like me :p

Someone please tell me she didn't just post again without providing the GPU information and then thanked people for guessing at what her issue may be? :bye3:

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
@Starscream: Clements already deduced what GPU she's using.

@strangeaeons: You're welcome. Can we conclude from your thanks that using the older plugin resolved the issue you were experiencing?

OP
S

strangeaeons

as of right now I'm on my way to the fire temple. sorry for the hassle; I guess that's what I get for cheaping out on a new laptop