What's new

512mb ram on Windows 98?

garboy

Some One
I was wondering if 512mb sdram would run smooth on windows 98?because im getting that much and i heard some things about 512mb ram making windows 98 run bad.

zorbid

There's a bug in win98 that makes it use almost all the ram for the hard disk cache when you have more than 512 Mo. But I think that installing Internet explorer 5 and higher fixes the bug. I had the problem once I made a clean win98 install on my PC (low ram, could hardly launch a program), but Ie5 fixed it.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Umm, I don't think it is IE5 that fixes it. It is a fix that you can download from Windows Update. Additionally the bug resides only in Windows 98. If you have Windows 98SE then the fix is already installed.

zorbid

The Ie5 package doesn't only provide Ie5. There are several core fixes in it. I promise you that installing Ie5 fixes at least one memory bug.

When I went from 64 to 576 Mo of ram, I dsidn't notice a thing, cos I had already Ie5.

After a while I had to format and reinstall windows (98 fe).

On the nude install, it was hardly possible to launch a program. Win thought I had too few memory. Then I installed Ie5 (no other patch), and the mem problem was gone.

I've reproduced the problem several times with the next clean installs I did after.