What's new

Windows XP Question.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Alright, I'm thinking of buying a fully leagal version of XP. I know if I make a small upgrade, re-activation isn't triggered, but if I make a major upgrade it is. The question I have is, does Microshit charge for re-activation or do you just have to contact them and tell them that you have upgraded.

If you have to re-pay for a licence you already bought then I'm gonna stick to 98, but if they will do the re-activation for free than I might consider it. I'm asking this cause I frequently am doing upgrades on my computer piece at a time.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Umm, I'm not talking about installations, I'm talking about their little spyware Product Activation. If I install XP and activate it, and later I install new processor, motherboard, hard drive, etc. enough to pass the "hash limit" will M$ charge me to re-activate it so it will work on the upgraded system.

Macca

i'm pretty sure all it takes is a phone call to them and the'll give you a new serial. i'm not positive but i'm quite sure

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, someone on the M$ newsgroups told me that was a rumor being spread. The fact is, re-activation is completely free.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
yup, and even if its not, i think u are allowed to install some copies on a few computers. (1-5?) after a while, they wont give you the code anymore.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
No, thats not true. Unless you have 5 licences then you can only install on one computer.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Activation is free, so is re-activation. Once you have your WinXP all done and installed you have (I believe) 5 restarts before you *must* put in the activation code. This can be done online, VIA a modem directly connecting to a MS server, by phone and by fax.

You can re-activate as many times as you wish for no cost at all.

:)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Hmm, I don't know about the 5 restarts, but what I've heard is you have a 1 month grace period until your required to activate.

Sukh

Long gone...
"Alright, I'm thinking of buying a fully leagal version of XP"

lol, people actually pay for Windows XP?!!!

...cause I do...*cough*...yeah

mesman00

What's that...?
i had an "unpaid" copy of xp on my comp, put it on three times or so, always gave me shit, so i went back to 98. one day i think i may buy a copy of xp home, so i won't have to deal with all the hassles that came along with the "unpaid" copy. otherwise, i think ill buy win2k.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Sukh said:
"Alright, I'm thinking of buying a fully leagal version of XP"

lol, people actually pay for Windows XP?!!!

...cause I do...*cough*...yeah

Well, pretty soon M$ is going to be implementing a new mandatory patch that will allow you to use third party internet browsers, email, etc. as the default programs (by order of the US courts) Anyway, when this patch is made available it will also disable the hacked copies of XP. Sooo, basically you can't use Windows Update ever again if you have a hacked copy. Since the original release of XP is very unsecure to hacks its not a good idea to leave it without the updates. If you already have the updates, then your OK, but pray you never have to re-format your hard drive.

Sukh

Long gone...
Eagle, that isn't true. The hackers are already one step ahead. I know of a program that will generate a corporate key for you in 15 minutes, that you can use, and MS won't have a clue :)

Although, I've never used this program...ever...ever!

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Sukh said:
Eagle, that isn't true. The hackers are already one step ahead. I know of a program that will generate a corporate key for you in 15 minutes, that you can use, and MS won't have a clue :)

Besides, if M$ tries to pull some copyright protection shit on Windows, Hackers will be one step ahead...

linker

Emutalk Member
Sukh said:

Yea, this program is cool..... BUT WAIT! I don't have it... I REPEAT! I DON'T HAVE IT!

lol

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
How does generating a new key prevent Windows XP activation? Thats what this patch is supposed to do. Any copy of XP with a hacked (disabled) activation will be detected.

Olger901

Banned
I have a copy of Win2K Pro I can send the ISO too you but it's a dutch version so you will need to configure the setup to turn it into english