What's new

Will my computer graphics look better when im playing zelda, than on a n64?

zeldachip

Well...will it? And if so, how much of a difference?

heres my specs:
AMD anthlon 950 MHz processer
386 MB RAM (somewhere around there)
direct x 8.1
windows 98
PNY Verto GeForce4 Ti 4200 64MB DDR AGP Graphics Card:D

Thanks

Slougi

Why don't you judge youself?
Here's a pic from Zelda oot running @ 1280x960 with aniso filtering and 4x fsaa
zelda.jpg

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
In most cases yes. The emulator lets you display the game @ a higher resolution and with a higher depth of colour. Also, unlike on an N64, my computer never slows down. NEVER. Not even on Golden-Eye when people are fireing rockets everywhere ;)

Corak

Nintendo gamer
Hmm the 4200 is still not available in Europe yet. But rumors indicate anyway that the nextgen ATI might be an even better choice for Doom3 and beyond...

Ah well onto the question. Well I guess you meant to ask:
"Will Zelda look better emulated on a high-level PC with PJ64 and Jabo's latest graphics plugin with a typical PC monitor compared to playing it with a standard TV set and a real N64?".

This is no easy question. I personally would pick the real N64 + low-resolution TV Zelda graphic over any PC emulated high-res Zelda graphic any day.

Some things do look better on the PC no doubt because of the higher resolution and thus resulting cleaner/sharper graphics. But lots of stuff does look in fact worse.
Jabo's plugin is awesome but it's not perfect. ZeldaMM for example has a very ugly sky with Jabo's plugin compared to the real sky. Some graphic elements (e.g. low-res sprites) were obviously designed to be used with a low-res TV set which shows on a high-res used with a PC (e.g. looks ugly on the PC but doesn't on the TV)

ZeldaOOT especially has a bunch of issues if you look into the gameFAQ. ZeldaMM doesn't have that many luckily.

In emulation you will sometimes have issues like texture problems, missing shadows, broken menus, slow-downs, wrong resolutions, missing features like nightvision...

Emulation can reach a high level and come darn close but normally never surpasses the real thing...
You certainly won't be able to brag to your friend who owns a real N64 by telling him you play the stuff emulated on your PC. :)

OP
Z

zeldachip

What I dont understand, is why dont just buy the n64 adn the game, then youll have no problems. LOL ive spend like 700 bux trying to get the damn emulation to work correctly when i could buy a new n64 for 50 bux.

Allnatural

zeldachip said:
What I dont understand, is why dont just buy the n64 adn the game, then youll have no problems. LOL ive spend like 700 bux trying to get the damn emulation to work correctly when i could buy a new n64 for 50 bux.
That's funny, because that's what we tell people that complain about compatibility and/or stability.:happy: You're right though, If you want flawless play, use the console. If you want to take a chance and play most games, using high resolution, filtering, and FSAA, then use an emulator.:cool: