What's new

Computer woes continue!!!

Kakarot

Well one new motherboard and windows 98 later and I still have problems! After I got my computer back it only 10 minutes to start having problems. Now all of the error screens no longer come up and windows always starts fine unlike before and my computer actualy runs better than before but now it freezes randomly. sometimes frequently other times not as frequently. Its not anything on my computer that's screwed it up. The only thing I've noticed is that the lock ups occur mostly during games and any other demanding applications. The horror just won't end!!! :cry:

zorbid

Sounds like the mobo was not the problem (or was only a part of it (or the new one is fux0red too?:eek:)).

Find a cpu temperature monitor (you need to find one that fits your mobo). If the CPU is overheating (try to overload it, with Sisoft Sandra, for example), buy a better fan+heatsink.

If there is no overheating :

Try to remove/unplug everything you can from your PC.
Just leave one hard disk and the gfx card (and the mouse/keyboard/monitor, of course).

Try to boot, and test if it's more stable in this way.

Then replug one by one your peripherals.

You should find which one is at fault.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Slougi

Also look at how many watts your power supply is, more importantly how many amps the +5 line os rated at. AMD chips are very power hungry.

zorbid

Good point Slougi.

Check the power supply first, because unplugging everything will lower the load on it, and could make the computer more stable.

I think that less than a 300W PSU could explain your problem too.

Are you using any usb peripherals?

Slougi

Did your mobo come with some monitoring software? If not, get a program called motherboard monitor, i think the latest one is version 5 (mbm5). If your 5v line drops below 4.9 when under load that will explain your problems.
You can also use that to check your temps.