What's new

need to get a new moniter, Hey hEy HEy!

Josep

eyerun4phun
That hey hey hey by the way was supposed to be sang with an "up-beat" britney spears tone;) j/k, but seriously, i'm thinking about getting a new moniter, currently have like a 5 year old moniter and today i pressed the button to turn it on and it just smashed in and now i can't turn it off;) PLUS not to mention picture quality is terrible of course, ANYWAYS, .24 .25? i know this has something to do with moniter quality, haven't really found out what the hell it means and idiots at Best Buy of course don't know either, they said "The higher the better" Duh, but what do those numbers mean? in moniter terms? anyone? thanks for reading at least;)

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
it smashed in??? that's a pretty old monitor for it to do that then. Let me ask you a question... is the monitor running now or did you unplug it?

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh wait, .24mm or .25mm dpi (dot pitch) its the space between each pixel on the monitor. Best Buy is wrong, the lower is better because the closer the pixels are together the better and less fuzzy the image.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I found some help for you http://compreviews.tqn.com/library/weekly/aa071400c.htm

Make sure that at 1024x768 you can get at least 85MHz refresh rate and for gaming you may want a maximum resolution capable at 1280x1024 or higher. And get a low dpi as well. Of course dpi depends on the size of the monitor. You can't find a .20mm dpi on a 21 inch, its impossible, however my 17inch has a .20mm dpi.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
sweet, ok thanks allot guys, i really had no idea what it meant:blush: i think i found a decent moniter at best buy, like 1600x1200 it can go too, BUT i don't remember the dpi, does anyone really order moniters off the internet? Seems kinda pricey and would probably just be eaiser at a local store;) from the prices i've seen (plus shipping and handling) No 2bzy4ne1, i still have it plugged in, im using it right now, i have too:( o well, until i get my new one

Slougi

What kinda monitor are u looking for? What res do u wanna use, what gfx card do you have, what size do you want, at what refresh rate do you get a headache, are you critical about color reproduction, or about geometry errors..........
A little more detail so we can help you ;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
No!! Don't order a monitor off the internet. Thats the one thing you never want to order on the internet cause there are often problems that require an exchange. You see, no two monitors, event the same model are alike due to the way the magnets are adjusted on the "yolk" (which is a long copper wire on a mount that spreads the image to the entire screen) of the monitor. You often find that the image is warped horizontally and most monitors have a verticle pincusion setting but not a horizontal one. This makes your taskbar look like it has a big hump in it. Basically, shipping would make it a pain in the ass to send back if something were wrong.

BTW this is assuming your talking about standard CRT monitors, not crystal, plasma, or LCD monitors.

Slougi

If you want to buy a monitor, go to the shop, look for a good one and take the exact same one you looked at. As Eagle said each monitor is different, even monitors of the same model can have huge differences. If they don't want to give it you fux0r em and buy elsewhere ;)

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
haha, ok, just standard CRT moniters, the flat ones though, not the WHOLE thing physically, but the Physical screen in the front is flat, ya know what i mean, well, i just ordered ti4400, and should be getting it within a few days, so i want a moniter that supports at least up to 1600x1200, cause i've read the stats on a ti4400 and it can definitly run that high and stuff, and isn't it the lower the refresh rate the better or what? <--- if that last statement is really wrong, sorry, i'm just exhausted from hella heat today, hit like 100 here today! hasn't hit that in MONTHS;) don't care much for the brand, sony trinitron maybe? always have liked those, i WILL be buying this in stores too;) too much of a hassel i can tell from ordering off the internet

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, flat screen and flat pannel are two seperate things. Flat screens are still CRT monitors. (Thats what I have a SyncMaster 753DF (DynaFlat). It works well. Flat pannel monitors are like laptop monitors.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
yup, and those stinkin' LCD's cost like 400 bucks for a 15inch moniter;) definitly going with a Flat CRT, probably going to get one in a week or so:blush:

Eagle

aka Alshain
I don't think so, a 15 inch is as big as a 15 inch, period. THe only exception is some screens are "17inch, 16inch viewable" which is a marketing ploy to make you think its really a 17inch when its not. Monitors/Televisions are measured by taking a measuring device (ruler, tape measure, anything long enough with inches on it) and laying it across the diagonal of the screen itself from one corner to the other. Whatever it reads is how big your monitor is. I'm not sure if this applies to widescreens.

Slougi

heh, with the lcd u get the whole viewing area, no black spaces at the sides, due to perfect geometry
do the maths, a 17 inch crt typically has around 16 inch viewable area, subtrat some of that because geometry is never 100% perfect on crt's, and the lcd has as much viewable area
the price difference is big, but if i had the money i'd get a lcd...

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
hmmm, really? interesting slougi, have'nt heard that b4, not saying i doubt you, just interesting;) BTW, um, what should i look in for an lcd screen? like what are good specs of a LCD screen? haven't looked 'em up much b4(keep price value in mind) hehe, under 400, i'd hope

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
WELP, just got the new moniter, viewsonic: A72f, .21 mm horizontal, 17 inches, um most of the other specs. are just nothing much;) very good moniter, "perfect flat screen" technology and stuff, $197 at a place called compusa, yes, bought it in store;)

gokuss4

Meh...
thats pretty good jaz, i need a new monitor. mine has .29mm for the dpi (yuck), i want to get a 19 inch with 1600x1200 with at least .24mm dpi. i saw a monitor like that for $209.