What's new

Controller Sensitivity Problems

chrisrobbins30

Okay, I know this topics has been brought up many times, but I haven't found the answers I need after a week of searching via the Amazing Google. Anyways, I am trying to get my USB Logitech game-pad(Looks just like a PS1 remote) to work like it suppose to. I've tried everything I can think of. I'm using the N-Rage's Direct-Input8 V2(Ver 1.83 12/20/04) plug-in. I tried adjusting the Deadzone and the Range to all sorts of configurations. I even tried this with the "Real N64 Range" box Unchecked. Just to be sure.

Adjusting the Deadzone doesn't seem to do anything. I tried the recommended Deadzone level of 10%, though. Adjusting the range really low does reduce the sensitivity, but only on one level. For example;In Mario 64, with range at 70% I can run but not walk and with it at 30% I can walk but not run. Adjusting Deadzone like I said seems to have no effect on either range adjustments. The desired effect I'm looking for is when I slightly press the analog stick Mario walks and when I press just a little further he walks a little faster and so on till Mario is running.

I even remember reading a post somewhere with a fellow having a similar problem and he fixed it by switching his d pad with his left joy stick. Something about the d pad had the sensitivity options while the joystick did not. Another I found said something along these same lines but it involved switching the right and left joysticks. Fortunately my game-pad profiler software allows both these options to be tried. Unfortunately neither worked, trying all the things I tried above.

What am I doing wrong? Is there even a way to have both or do I have to always adjust the range levels manually to control Mario in tight situations? Thank you for you help.

Here are some pics of my default setting, just for clarification.

My USB Logitech game-pad profiler interface:

The option window to switch the d pad and joysticks:

Controller settings(For Range adjustment):

Device settings(For Deadzone adjustment):

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I have the Logitech RumblePad 2, and I've never had any problems with it. Disable the Profiler just to be on the safe side. That program does more harm than good, especially with the Logitech Dual Action.

Besides, why are you even using the Profiler when the N-Rage Input plugin accepts gamepad input (and thus button/axis bindings) just fine?

Last edited:

Alunalun

Sounds like an analogue/digital problem.
It's bizarrely common for the controller or its software to have an option so the analogue stick works as a d-pad - sending 8-way directional information only, instead of the full sensitivity.
If it gets set to 'digital' in this way then you will (of course) see single-speed (and 8-way) control in games.

EDIT:
Looked at the screenshots - it seems you have the N64 analogue stick mapped to the arrow keys? if you map the N64 analogue to the arrow keys, and the arrow keys to the controller stick (via the profiler), you are only sending a digital signal to the emulator.
Like Agozer says, switch off the profiler and use N-rage.
Agozer is wise.

OP
C

chrisrobbins30

I can't believe it was that easy! I just exited out of the Logitech profiler and set the options with the game pad and it works like a charm. Thank a bunch Agozer and Alunalun.