What's new

World Driver Championship, Stunt Racer 64 and V-Rally

bgn

Has anyone got these games to work? I tried rsp z64 lle but it gives only black screen and atioglxx.dll error when I close pj64. And is it possible to fix V-rally menu?

zoinkity

I'll try looking into this. One throws an unknown microcode error, when the ucode is obviously Zelda or a very close cousin. If it just can't be detected it may simply be the case of typing an entry in the .ini file to force it.

Also, found it somewhat amusing that V-Rally uses zip. Opening the ROM with 7-zip is worth a giggle or two ;*)

+_+

note:
World Driver Championship and Stunt Racer 64 are built on the exact same engine, to the point where most of the data and memory locations are identical.

The RSP microcode is a derivative of F3DEX2.XX and has at least one unique command, two if I confused myself.
0xDD has been commandeered. The apparent format is:
Code:
00FFF000 00000000	
00000FFF 00000000
00000000 FFFFFFFF
Can't say much else for now. You wouldn't believe it, but stacking a Jr. on top of a GameShark tends to cause issues ;*)

Last edited:

zoinkity

It isn't like that, and what I wrote above is likely wrong.
The game uses a unique microcode. The N64 has a programmable video processor, so all video display is done in a sort of shorthand (microcode) that is processed very quickly with no error detection. This is then interpretted and a snopshot of the screen is output as a result.
Nintendo provided several video processing formats, each with its own unique microcode. These games, like many racing games, use a nonstandard format designed by the company, seemingly much lower level and with a special selection scheme to cull anything that isn't immediately on screen.

There's at least somebody working on this right now, and the debugger has been reactivated in WDC. It may take some time, but eventually the format will be reverse-engineered.

MadBeard

MadBeard
...I've read about this thechnical envoirement of programming a n64-game... but that doesn't say that i'm understanding anything... does this mean someone is working on a solution for emulating roms with still not supported u-/micro- codes...???... and may i ask what WDC means...???...

Last edited: