What's new

Netplay?

firo

Currently using Kaillera is the only way to play n64 games online. I am the owner of one of the last two US active kaillera servers ("The Galaxy" - mainly for SSB) and I was wondering what the status of netplay is in Mupen64plus. We currently use an open source implementation of the kaillera protocol but having the netplay not integrated with the emulator makes lag, crashes, and desynchronizations very common. The main emulator people use online is an old version of Project64, but there is currently no open source emulator that has the capability of netplay. Moving off of kaillera to a better solution and an open source emulator would really be the only way to keep n64 online play alive.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
firo,

A long time ago there were a couple of developers who did quite a bit of work on a 'netplay' branch of mupen64plus. I think it got to a point where some games worked, but it had bugs and lacked some important features. It was never finished, though the source code is still in my old SVN server.

The great thing about open source is that anyone with the skills and motivation can contribute. I'm willing to take well-written code contributions from anyone, but I don't have time to do much development myself on this project any more. We could definitely use developers to work on features like this. I know netplay has been a sought-after feature for a long time.

We could also use an evangelist. Okaygo was good at this; he didn't really contribute much himself but he brought a lot of people to the project who did make good contributions. Unfortunately he went off to college and discovered psychedelic substances, so he might not be back for a while. It's a pretty specialized job, but if anyone else could take up the mantle of Mupen64Plus Evangelist that would be great. I'm not that social of a person so it's not really my strong point.

OP
F

firo

Thanks for the reply,

Where is the old source code located on the SVN server? A quick look through the files didn't seem to turn up anything.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Thanks for the reply,

Where is the old source code located on the SVN server? A quick look through the files didn't seem to turn up anything.

This was the latest:

svn://fascination.homelinux.net:7684/mupen64plus/branches/r0806-netplay/

egregor

I'm also very interested in netplay for mupen64plus.. i was hoping to do a bit of hacking on the code from this url but the repo seems to be pw protected, am i missing something?