What's new

Nvidia vs Ati

Which videocard is the best to use with games?

• Geforce 2 Ti 64 Meg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geforce 3 64Meg

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Geforce 3 Ti 200 128 Meg

• Geforce 3 Ti 500 128 Meg

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Ati Radeon 7500 64 Meg

• Ati Radeon 8500 128 Meg

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Matrox G450

• Matrox G550

• Total voters

Olger901

Banned
Hi I got a question. i brought back my Geforce 3 Ti 200 because it won't work properly. Which videocard should I get now? Nvidia cards all give very strange probs and lockups on my pc. don't have this problem with a old Ati card I tried

BTW which videocard do you guys think is the best?

Trotterwatch

Did you install the Nvidia card into a system that had previously been the home to an ATI card? That would explain that crashes, as ATIs drivers (at least for early cards such as the Rage 128) were pathetic at clearing up after themselves.

ATI in general make worse drivers, so it is quite bizarre that you have found the opposite.

What computer specs do you have? You may find the GeForce 3 card just too powerful for it, especially if the mobo only supports AGP 1.0 standard (not the same as 1x, 2x, 4x)

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Well thats not the prob. After getting my Gf3 ti i formatted my pc completly so i think these drivers aren't there anymore ;)

Trotterwatch

What about your specifications though? What OS etc? You see any new card could well have problems with your computer, especially if you don't update your chipset drivers.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
NVIDIA cards used to hav probs with VIA chipsets, but they were still compatible. did u uninstall ur previous gfx card's drivers fully (like registry settings and all)?

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
Erm.

Sounds like your giving to much voltage to the GF3, which tends to indicate that your AGP slot just wont cut it. The newish AGP standard (2.0) uses less voltage (I think 1.8 compared to 3.3). Be careful with that GF3 Ti, you might hurt it. The only way your gonna use anything other then an old ATI or 3DFX card is to get a new mobo. Sorry. System specs might let me help you - it might even be a completely different problem.

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Well my mobo is brandnew I got an MSI K7T Turbo 2 with 1500+ Mhz and my mobo supports AGP 2.0 so this is not the prob

btw my system

Amd Athlon XP 1500+ Mhz
MSI K7T Turbo 2 Motherboard
256 Meg Ram
Creative Soundblaster 64 PCI
Ati Rage Fury Pro 32 Mb
AOpen 40x AKI/IDE CD-Rom Drive
Seagate Barracuda 60 Gbytes 7200 RPM
Windows 98 SE & Red Hat Linux 7.3

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
Whats your power supply?

Whats your power supply rated at? That could also be the problem.

-Angechu

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
flow my bios is updated and yes i have restored the default bios settings multiple times.

Angechu it could be the powersupply I don't know that for sure.

In The Netherlands we get at max 240 Volt from the walls and my power supply is somewhere in the 320 (can't read the last number anymore)

Josep

eyerun4phun
personally i'd go with ti4200 if money is the prob;) of course you can always spend like 20 or 30 bucks more and get the ti4400 which is considerbly better in my opinion considering im getting it;) found the abit version of the ti4400 for $220;)