What's new

Crashes at random times

cchhrriiss

Hello
I have been trying to run a few roms on mupen64plus which has been working fine aside from random crashing. Since unzipping my roms, I have had better stability, but the crashes remain, anywhere between 5mins and 3 hours.

The emulation will stop and one of my 2 cpu cores gets locked up at 100% usage.
Running from terminal only shows some messages about ALSA underruns which happen throughout emulation. Nothing shows up when the crash actually occurs.

I use the glide plugin as rice does not display things correctly.

Using a Debian squeeze system, 256.44 nvidia drivers, version 1.5 of mupen from the squeeze repos. My machine is above minimum spec for this: Athlon II 245, 4GB RAM, 9600GT

Tried posting on Ubuntu formus, and a user referred me to here. Any insight is welcome.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Mupen64plus v1.5 is quite old now. Many bugs have been fixed since that release. You can download binary and source build of the latest release (1.99.3) on our Google Code site (http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus). If you don't mind building from source, it's best to get the latest code from our Mercurial repository and build it.

OP
C

cchhrriiss

Thanks for the tip, but I get an error when trying to install the newer version:
Installing Mupen64Plus Binary Bundle to /usr/local
install: cannot stat `libmupen64plus.so.2.*': No such file or directory
The file it cannot find is present, so I don't know why it is not functioning.

I'm using 64bit.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Perhaps you are not running the install script as root? Or running it from a different directory than the one in which it's located?

OP
C

cchhrriiss

Just like to say that I am not experienced installing from source like this, but yes I did run as root in the correct directory. Could someone request ver1.99 go into the Debian experimental repo?

Is it necessary to remove the previous version when installing a newer one?

Have tried again today and have got different results:
Code:
chris@crunchbang:~/documents/Games/mupen64plus-bundle-linux64-1.99.3$ sudo ./install.sh 
[sudo] password for chris: 
Installing Mupen64Plus Binary Bundle to /usr/local
install: omitting directory `doc/emuwiki-api-doc'
So does this mean it has installed correctly? Running mupen64plus still opens up ver1.5 and I can't find any kind of launcher in /usr/local.

Richard42

Emulator Developer
From the looks of that, it should have installed correctly. The executable should be at /usr/local/bin/mupen64plus

OP
C

cchhrriiss

/usr/local/bin is empty as is sbin and games. I do have a mupen folder in /usr/local/share, but it just has a test rom, docs, a font, a .cht file and a .ini file.
Is that normal? If so how can I launch it?

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Wow, you found a bug. 10k downloads of the linux binary 1.99.3 release and you are the first person to find that the installer is broken.. Damn I feel like an idiot. If you remove the line at the top of the installation script which contains 'set -e', then the script will finish and install the binaries. It's probably time to make a 1.99.4 release.

OP
C

cchhrriiss

Success! It has installed to the correct directory, but I can't launch it:

Code:
Mupen64Plus Console User-Interface Version 1.99.3

UI-console: attached to core library 'Mupen64Plus Core' version 1.99.3
            Includes support for Dynamic Recompiler.
Error: no ROM filepath given

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Success! It has installed to the correct directory, but I can't launch it:

The new architecture of Mupen64Plus (as of the 1.99.x releases) separates the User Interface from the core emulator. The basic front-end (UI) which is included with the binary package that you installed is the Console-UI, which is command-line only. Therefore, you must give it the path and filename of an uncompressed ROM file to run. If you run it with the '--help' option, it will give you all of the available command-line options.

OP
C

cchhrriiss

OK thanks, I have set my roms to open with mupen64plus from thunar as I prefer to avoid the command line.
Is there any way to use the old GUI? It takes about 3 times as long for me to adjust anything.
Has this project now gone CLI only?

Other issues:
My USB controller mapping is not working correctly. My designated Z button has changed places to my designated L button, but it is displayed correctly in ~/.config/mupen64plus/blight_input.conf
Can't seem to switch to using the OSS mixer as I did with v1.5. I have tried by editing the jttl_audio.conf.

Are these config files still in use by with 1.99?

thanks for all the support BTW

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Lots of things have changed with the re-architecture. There is a lot of documentation on our google code page: http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus. There is no way to use the old GUI with the new version of the emulator. I am only supporting the console UI, but other people are working on separate front-end projects for the emulator, and these have GUIs. They are in various stages of completeness, but none of them has yet emerged as the best. All of the config files have been merged into a single file, which should be at ~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg. Most of the options are very similar to the ones in the old config files, so you should be able to make it work fairly easily. If it seems like lots of options are missing in the file, run it once with '--saveoptions' to write out the defaults.

OK thanks, I have set my roms to open with mupen64plus from thunar as I prefer to avoid the command line.
Is there any way to use the old GUI? It takes about 3 times as long for me to adjust anything.
Has this project now gone CLI only?

Other issues:
My USB controller mapping is not working correctly. My designated Z button has changed places to my designated L button, but it is displayed correctly in ~/.config/mupen64plus/blight_input.conf
Can't seem to switch to using the OSS mixer as I did with v1.5. I have tried by editing the jttl_audio.conf.

Are these config files still in use by with 1.99?

thanks for all the support BTW