What's new

i really need some help in running the emulator

eugenioso

hi all. first time posting. im an avid fan of emulation myself and have played old games on mame as well as on other emulators.

a friend of mine sent me a link to your page, so i downloaded and tried to execute a game that my friend sent me, maze of kings. so i download all the files and try to play it.

first i open your emulator and it says select plugins and such. no problem. i also put controller one as mouse. the plugin folders are all corresponding, except for the rom file. i make a new folder inside demul folder called roms, and place the the_maze_of_kings zip file there. i start the emulator, find the game, and when i try to play it it says "unable to find 'epr-21578d.bin' in romset 'naomi'.

my friend who so happens to be in MSN sends me 2 files: one named epr-21578d.bin and another named naomi_boot.bin

now, ive tried placing both these files everywhere within the folders and ive had zero success. whenever i try to play the game it just tells me the exact same error message.

can anyone please help me with this problem? have i done something wrong? am I missing a file?

thanks in advance.

OP
E

eugenioso

EDIT: ok i kind of made some improvement.

google helped me find a post in this very forum about a guy who had the same problem as i did, except he was using demul for DC games. anyway, i compressed the file epr-215 etc. as (naomi.zip), but now, when i try to run the game i get an even weirder mistake:

Crc32 error 'epr-21578d.bin' in romset 'D:\DOCUMENTOS\demul32-0.5.5\roms\naomi.zip'. expected 0xdfd5f42 instead of 0x3b2afa7b

what the hell? somehow i feel a bit more lost than before.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
First, you were missing the Naomi BIOS files. Second, the BIOS file you got had a different CRC than what Demul expects it to be (hence "expected 0xdfd5f42 instead of 0x3b2afa7b"). Find a proper Naomi BIOS set that has the correct files.

The sets that MAME uses are the correct ones.

OP
E

eugenioso

ok now that i got that part working im getting a new problem.

it says: Unable to find 'mok.bin' in romset 'mok'.

the problem with this, is that the file i have is called the_maze_of_the_kings.rar, and when unzipped or unrared, i get the file mok.dat.

i tried to turn the mok.dat into a .bin file with isobuster but it didnt work. what now?

Agozer

The correct romsets archive name for Maze of Kings is mok.zip, and this is what Demul expects it to be. The romset should contain a file named "317-0333-com.pic". Furthermore, maze of Kings uses the Naomi GD-ROM BIOS (naomigd), and not the regular Naomi BIOS.

mok.bin is the GD-ROM image needed by the game. No, mok.dat isn't the same thing, unless its size proves otherwise. If it is, rename the extension to .bin, and if it isn't (and it probably isn't), delete the file and find the actual disc image. This should be put in the mok.zip romset.

Trying to convert a file that isn't a disc image to begin with doesn't result in a working disc image, ISO Buster notwithstanding. A .dat file is rarely if ever a disc image format.

Last edited:
OP
E

eugenioso

lol ok thank you ive just began to download the .chd file. my friend (who i berated) sent me the correct file. now ill download it and see how that goes.

OP
E

eugenioso

hi again. im sort of having a problem with the thing again.

right now i have the mok.zip file from mame, as well as the .chd of the maze of the kings, named (gds-0022).

ive tried to compress the .chd file in to play the game but even though i do that all it does is tell me the same error from before.

so, the problem i reckon lies with the .chd file which is not a .bin file. any ideas?

Agozer

A quote from another thread here at EmuTalk:

ShinobiZ" said:
hello,

I managed to get the GD-ROM games working in lastest DEMUL !

Here is step by step how I got them working.

I'll take as example the game VIRTUAL TENNIS 2

1st, you need the lastest version of MAME (0.130U4) compiled in debugger mode (MAMED.EXE)
2nd, you also need the proper MAME roms and CHD for that game.

Then here is how to proceed to get the correct DEMUL rom and run it :

1. Run "Virtua Tennis 2" with the debugger version of MAME -> MAMED.EXE VTENNIS2
2. Exit MAME after the rom loading screen.
3. In the current folder, you'll find two new files "encrypted vtennis2" and "decrypted vtennis2"
4. Delete "decrypted vtennis2" and rename "encrypted vtennis2" to "vtennis2.bin"
5. Copy the MAME rom "vtennis2.zip" into the DEMUL rom folder, add the "vtennis2.bin" into this archive.
6. Now you can RUN the game from DEMUL (the CHD plugin doesn't seems to be used!)

I also tried with IKARUGA, VTENNISG, MONKEYBALL and tehy worked !

I hope this will help you and others and now .... have fun ! :)

Thierry
You'll most likely find MAME's debugger version on the MAME homepage. I don't know if there's an easier way, though.

OP
E

eugenioso

ok man listen ive tried at least 5 times, but the damn key that i got in guru's webpage doesnt work!

5BDAAE51898FABA8

thats the key. i type it both ways (capital and non capital) and both times it fails. im so close but now the darn key wont work! any advice?

OP
E

eugenioso

EDIT: i think i found the chink.

when i use gdrom2rom, and input the key, it says the track03.BIN!!! file not found. i have a .iso file. so what happened there? i did a step by step and got to a dead end. do i have to change the iso to .bin file? if so, how?

Agozer

gdrom2rom always expects more than one track to be present in a disc image, as "proper" GD-ROM images always have more than one track. ISO and BIN are disc image formats that only have one track.

OP
E

eugenioso

agozer, thanks for all the replies. but please make a little effort and try to speak english, cause that last post was like hank scorpio talking.

anywho, i dont understand what to do. i mean, i followed all of the instructions to the letter to try and get the damn rom to work, but now im stuck and dont understand what to do. can you help me?

ps: please try to tell me in words i can understand.

Agozer

I'm actually a bit intrigued about who this Hank Scorpio is, but anywho.

Truth be told, I can't really put my words in a a way that would make more sense and I'm sorry about that.
Second, I'm hardly the expert here, seeing how my computer is not fast enough to deal with Naomi emulation of any kind, nor have I ever found the need to take the long way and try to get the disc image to the format that Demul accepts (the few times that I've fiddled with Demul's Naomi stuff I already had the proper disc image format to begin with).

Judging by your replies, the solution from ShinobiZ that I quoted didn't work, right? Aside from that, I really can't help you. well, you could still try the gdrCHD plugin that Demul has and see if using that produces even remotely satisfying results.

Last edited:
OP
E

eugenioso

oh ok ill try the plugin thanks.

PS: hank scorpio appeared in one simpsons episode and he was funny as hell. he also improvised so homer could only answer in single words.