What's new

48 Hours ( someone must reply soon)

L

Lachp30

In 48 hours I will be ordering the DELL computer I have been planning on bying, but I have just relised it has ''Intergrated Audio with sound blaster @pro/16 compatability. Is this good/bad for gaming and emulation....am i stuffed. Please reply asap....Its urgent!!???

Raging Fuel

The jumbles man, the jumbles
It means you can't upgrade you soundcard. You are stuck with a crap one.

EDIT: Actually you can probably get a PCI soundcard...

Allnatural

Most integrated audio can be turned off. However, doing so requires access to the BIOS, and many pre-built big-brand computers have the BIOS locked out. You may still be able to add a PCI sound card though.

Integrated audio tends to be more CPU intensive, but if the computer has horsepower to spare, it shouldn't be much of a problem for emulation.

6tree

I had integrated audio on my PC but I bought SB Live to a PCI slot and turned off integrated audio from Windows Device Managment. Works well, no problem.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, you can always disable hardware profiles in windows, but it wont completely disable it, buncha wasted resources.

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
Eagle said:
Yeah, you can always disable hardware profiles in windows, but it wont completely disable it, buncha wasted resources.

Wrong. If it's plug and play, it doesn't take up any when it's disabled. (yay, an IRQ!)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Tk64 said:

Wrong. If it's plug and play, it doesn't take up any when it's disabled. (yay, an IRQ!)

Hey, I have all but one of my IRQ's in use, so if you intend to upgrade your system to make it a killer system like mine :p

OP
L

Lachp30

As long as ill here the music to Zelda, thats all i care about. I just ordered my dell anyway, so ill change my signiture to what its specs are when i get the time to.

Tk64

The Other Village Idiot
Eagle said:
Hey, I have all but one of my IRQ's in use, so if you intend to upgrade your system to make it a killer system like mine :p

Back in Sept. '98 I used to have a real killer K6-2 500 + Banshee... I always needed 17 IRQs on that thing, grr no IRQ 16!

Now with this P4 I'm using different HW, moved my printer to another computer on the LAN, got rid of the modem since the cable / lan are together... and so IRQs 2, 3, 5, and 11 are free :p:bunny: