What's new

What boards can use DDR, and how can you tell?

Does amptron suck? or is the brand good?

• Amptron sux0rz

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Amptron is great!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • WTF are you talking about?!

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

DiamondDeus

I was wondering, currently i have pc 133 sdram, and i was thinking about upgrading to ddr ram, but im not sure if my board can support it or not. does ddr fit into a special slot of its own (like rambus?) or does it just fit into existing dimm slots? also, i was wondering if amptron is a reputable brand or not? right now i have an amptron k7-810lmr board, and i was wondering if this brand is crap, or good?

Josep

eyerun4phun
i got the abit kr7a-raid, very nice updated mother board;) highly recommended for you overclockers;)

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
Well

Er hold on a sec. You have an Athlon and you say your FSB is 266.. yet your not using DDR ram?? 266 would be DDR266 (PC2100) ram and you say you have SDram.. er. Anyways, with that Athlon.. you'll be fine for upgrading to a much better mobo. Let me find out what mobo that one you have is, i'll look into it and get back to you.

Agreed all ASUS boards except for the A7 series are awesome.

Um.. I have an ASUS A7V333 Mobo and it is awesome. Unless by saying "A7" you dont mean "A7V" and you mean an older version i've forgotten..

i got the abit kr7a-raid, very nice updated mother board highly recommended for you overclockers

Abit is OK, but make sure you get the NEWEST version... KT333..

Anyways, go to this site for a ton of great infos on mobos.. they even have a ranking of the newer ones (ASUS A7V333 being the top of course :) ).

Last edited:

Angechu

Found it..

The HECK! you have a tiny case or WHAT? This mobo is a Micro ATX form factor mobo. Its got all of an agp slot and 2 pci slots. Jezzuz. DEFINATELY upgrade unless your case is really tiny. This thing is a... there is NO way your gonna get DDR ram onto it. What I need to know is: you have a T-Bird right? 1.2 GHZ T-bird at 266 FSB? Mm..

Update:
I see how you can live with only 2 pci slots.. onboard lan, modem, sound.. (ie crap). Anyways, since you'll most definately need to upgrade, i need to know how much your willing to spend..

-Angechu

Eagle

aka Alshain
Re: Well

Angechu said:
Um.. I have an ASUS A7V333 Mobo and it is awesome. Unless by saying "A7" you dont mean "A7V" and you mean an older version i've forgotten..

The only one I've experienced personally is the A7A266 but I've heard complaints from all of them on the Asus forums when I was searching for answers to problems with the A7A266. However that one may not have been around last I checked. I thought they stopped producing the A7 series. It could be that the Via chipset is why that one is better. I don't think there are many A7V mobos at Asus, most of the are A7A (Ali chipset)

Angechu

Heh.

I see your thing here Eagle.

A7A is based on the ALI chipset, which up until the DDR333 version sucked.

A7V is based on VIA's chipsets, and the A7V266-A is rock stable.

A7M is the Multi-chip version, i believe still based on via's chipsets.. cant remember the multi-chipset for the Athlon.

I know a TON about this stuff, its my passion. There is NO way they would stop production of the A7 series, until the AMD K8.
A7 = K-7 i believe. P7 series (like P7S533) is the Pentium ASUS mobos. The A7V333 is the newest Asus mobo for athlon's, using the KT333 chipset and supporting the new DDR333 ram. I hope that clears it up?

-Angechu