What's new

Gtk Gui Frontend available

Lig

Everything works well as far as I know. The controller configuration isn't available, but thats about it. If you have deleted your mupen64plus.cfg or you don't have a good one all the setting may not be available because the menus and configuration dialogs are constructed when you run it and are base on the contents of your mupen64plus.cfg file.

This is very alpha, the code is sloppy and uncommented, I'm taking a break from coding for a few days. Make sure you post a comment if you like it.

the source (gtk64.zip) is available at:

http://groups.google.com/group/mupen64plus/files

to build you need the gtkmm lib

if your using ubuntu this will probably work:

sudo apt-get install libgtkmm-2.4-dev

if you have wget and unzip then you can just copy and paste the following code into a terminal and it will probably work:

wget -O gtk64.zip "http://mupen64plus.googlegroups.com/web/gtk64.zip?gda=qaVbejsAAACiJeWS1t7bSMKpgcLBmmuvEom1mcrnSRDaQE2lBHZAGGQOC7eggoL_OCJviW0zH2sGRdr3QrylPkw2aRbXD_gF&gsc=23aVoQsAAABD6GF6uQQ-fih7McqKDGqb"
unzip gtk64.zip
rm gtk64.zip
cd gtk64
./m64p_build.sh
cp ./source/mupen64plus-ui-console/projects/unix/gtk64 ./mupen64plus-gtk
./mupen64plus-gtk

Enjoy...

Last edited:
OP
L

Lig

You may also need to have mupen64plus already installed for this to work, or you might get it to work with the --corelib, --configdir, and --datadir arguments.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lig

I'm almost ready to start working on this again in two days or so. Is there anything that anyone would recommend? Is it too boring? Is it not user friendly enough? Does it look sloppy? Does anyone like it? Has anybody even used it?

I think the first thing I'm going to do is add sdl support for input configuration functions.

Auria

Well, I just wanted to say it's great you are writing something :) I haven't tried it yet because I'm most often on OS X, and GTK doesn't play very well there (oh, it's possible, but very painful). But next time I boot Linux I will try
And indeed, I think configuration of everything that can be configured is probably the #1 feature I'd like to see in any frontend

OP
L

Lig

The gtkmm website says it works in mac os x with gcc and they have a link to a fink package here:
http://www.gtkmm.org/download.shtml
I don't know a whole lot about mac os x though... It seems that I would have to own a copy of mac os x to be able to port it.

Last edited:

powered_by_tux

Looks pretty good. It's better to have a nice Gtk frontend than none at all.

What was wrong with the 1.5 frontend again, why was it dropped? I always found it was excellent.

Surkow

Looks pretty good. It's better to have a nice Gtk frontend than none at all.

What was wrong with the 1.5 frontend again, why was it dropped? I always found it was excellent.

There was nothing "wrong" with it. It is not compatible with new internal Mupen64Plus core API. You can still download the old version from SVN and incorporate its features in a new GUI frontend for the Mupen64Plus core.

Auria

Lig: GTK on OS X is a long and complicated story ^^ For a long time there was no native backend; the solution was to install a third-party "fake" X server (an application that could receive X calls and translate them into native equivalent). So with this you can run the X11 backend of GTK. Works... ok, but feels very non-native (a bit like apps in Wine). More recently, a company (imendio) started work to make GTK run on OS X natively by writing a new backend, much like the Windows one; their work seemed very promising, except that they went bankrupt and their code branch is now pretty much dead.

So yeah, for OS X I'd rather welcome a Qt frontend - but I still hold that when I boot Ubuntu I'll try and use your GTK frontend :)

Auria

Yes, this OS X backend is interesting; unfortunately, the project died before they could make an installer. So to make this run on mac first implies you compile GTK from source, plus all its deps (not THAT bad, they have a tool to automate that), but it also means you then need the create the installer that was not done by the original porters. And _that_ is not for the faint of heart ;)
i.e. if I went this direction, I'd spend 95% of the time creating a GTK installer, and the remaining 5% on your frontend (and that's assuming we don't meet a bug in Imendio's backend, which is very likely since it never matured so much)
Thus, in conclusion, I have no doubt I could build it, but little interesting building something you can't share ;)

OP
L

Lig

When I first considered which ui engine to build things with on linux I figured that gtkmm was the best. If you look at their website it makes it look like it just works on mac osx. So thats the one I learned to use because Qt is not necessarily free. So when I saw that mupen64plus need a gui I thought that would be a good chance to use what I learned. It's nice to know that it doesn't look natural on mac. I just wish I knew that before hand. Hopefully BeholdMyGlory is still working on his qt frontend.

Auria

When I first considered which ui engine to build things with on linux I figured that gtkmm was the best. If you look at their website it makes it look like it just works on mac osx. So thats the one I learned to use because Qt is not necessarily free. So when I saw that mupen64plus need a gui I thought that would be a good chance to use what I learned. It's nice to know that it doesn't look natural on mac. I just wish I knew that before hand. Hopefully BeholdMyGlory is still working on his qt frontend.

Sure, I'm not criticizing your choice! I hope there will be many frontends for all needs :)

sultanoswing

Nice job... it's a good start!

Weirdly, it doesn't want to launch from the Gnome taskbar via an application launcher, but it does from the command line and double-clicking 'mupen64plus-gtk' directly.