What's new

WTF? My comp is dying!!!

Kakarot

I don't know what the hell is going on but I'll try to explain hopefully you all can help me out. I recently had a virus on my comp I had all sorts of blue screen errors and illegal opps. I tried everything and then decided to format my hard drive. I reinstalled windows (millenium) and then a few minutes later the problems started up again! Sometimes windows starts while other times it doesn't and other times it won't even start in safe mode. I've don all I know. If you need details to help me out just ask. I had to leave alot out to make this short. Thanks so much in adavnce! <sarcasm>I hate playing PJ64 on my 300Mhz P2 :( </sarcasm>
ps. another interesting bit of info sometimes it does get past "verifying dmi pool data" during the boot sequence.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Hmm, yup, sounds like you have a virus. Its called Microsoftious Windowsious Milleniumitis. The only way to cure it is to buy an OS other than Windows ME :p

Sarcasm aside, To be honest with you I'd prefer Windows 3.1 opposed to Windows ME. Its very unstable, crashes all the time and rarely does what its expected to.

OP
Kakarot

Kakarot

GRRR.. just don't get it!! How can the problems from this virus be left after a format!!! Tech support for me sucks (I know more than they do) You guys are my last hope from having to dish out money to get it looked at and hpefully fixed. Could the virus have damaged the hardware? Is this possible?

flow``

flow``
all sarcasm aside, put on 98se or 2k. xp might be a little much for your specs but anything is better then ME.. i'd easily take win95 over it.

a fresh install of any other version of windows, latest drivers, updates, and you should be fine

Slougi

The most stable win95 based windows is windows 95 osr 2.......
Just get XP/2k and see your problems disappear.

zorbid

What is quite strange is that his computer worked fine before he had to reinstall Windows. Win ME may be a piece of crap, but a clean install should at least boot fine.

I'm no virologist, but I think that if the virus had damaged the MBR, your PC would crash all the time in the same way. Just in case, try to boot from a floppy with fdisk on it, then launch

A:\>fdisk /mbr

or??

A:\>disk c: /mbr

I don't remember well.

Last edited:

zorbid

Are you sure that your computer was infected ?

A bad dimm can produce the effects you describe here. Try to underclock/replace your ram, and see if it works better.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
zorbid said:
What is quite strange is that his computer worked fine before he had to reinstall Windows. Win ME may be a piece of crap, but a clean install should at least boot fine.

I'm no virologist, but I think that if the virus had damaged the MBR, your PC would crash all the time in the same way. Just in case, try to boot from a floppy with fdisk on it, then launch

or??

A:\>disk c: /mbr

I don't remember well.

its

MBR standing for Master Boot Record

adi

get out of my house
listen i had ME when I got my pc about a year back and while it wasn't perfect, it certainly did its task. yes, the other windows are better but ME wasn't plagued to the fault that it didn't boot up right. only thing i can think of is messed up drivers or bios support

zorbid

Malcolm said:
MBR standing for Master Boot Record
I knew that :). But I don't know exactly what it means :plain:. I assume it's the boot sector of the first hard disk, but I'm not sure (that's why i wasn't sure about the syntax).

OP
Kakarot

Kakarot

I'm looking at the ram right now....I tried to take one put and use the other and tried both slots. It checks my ram during the boot and verifies both to be ok but windows stiil won't boot (even safe mode). My computer was infected by a virus. I got from mirc when I dumbassed into accepting a file someone sent me but I'm thinking all this may be conincidental? I did find it and delete the virus (it was an infected html file) but the problems continued long after I deleted it and now after I've formatted and reinstalled ME countless times. Can the virus have actually screwed my bios (shutters)? Or my driver devices outside of windows? Thanks again.

L

Lachp30

You could have the W92 FUNLOVE virus..i got that and the sysmtoms look the same

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Some virus can get into the BIOS, I think there is a virus protector option in most BIOS settings. Also, are you backing up any files? Could you be reinfecting your comp?, or is all your doing is formating then doing a fresh install? What are you using as a startup disk, if your promlem is a virus then maybe it put it's self onto your startup disk somehow. Make sure your computer is off for a bit, so anything in the ram dies, and fdisk with a clean startup disk, maybe have a friend make it. then before you install anything, check to see if the problem still exists.

If so it's probly hadeware related I'd guess.

OP
Kakarot

Kakarot

ARRRG!!! Thanks for your help people but nothing worked! So I had to leave it at a place to fix it (damn). I was just trying to run windows after I fromatted but to little/no avail. At least I'm now downgarding (upgrading actually) to Win98 SE :). One last question: Will I really see much of a performance boost because I was pretty happy with my performance in millenium before this happened. Thanks again.

Olger901

Banned
Hi There are 2 possibilities this virus could be

Hi I know your problem you the case you got there is an MBRV a Master Boot Record Virus. Even when you format your pc it won't go away and even if you type a:\fdisk /mbr it won't go away. This virus is a plague. What you need to do is a thing that is called A Low Level format from out of the bios. It will take about 7 or 8 hours to format then. (Depends on the size) But then your pc will be totally clean and you can't even get data back with an unformat or an undelete program. The HD is totally empty then.

It could also be a Bios virus. Make sure you turn the option Virus Scan on in the bios. BTW Make also sure the version of your bios is up2date so it can also find newer bios viruses. (If this is the case)

Olger901

Banned
O yeah I forgot you probaly want to get Windows Me 2nd Edition. The Bad Ram Managment bug is fixed and lots more. It works perfect. I have been working with it now for 2 months and no error yet :)

Trotterwatch

There is no such thing as a Low Level Format for IDE drives, the nearest equivalent that does much the same thing is actually known as a Zero Fill utility.

Olger901

Banned
For these hds there is a low level format. I did it once with a 20 Gb Hd and it worked fine. I only can't remeber how I did that. I believe I did this with one of the linux dosutils. Look there