What's new

Will we ever see an end to that "Unsupported uCode" crap?

Viper187666

I really think it's time someone dealt with the games that still don't run in anything; Star Wars Naboo, Indiana Jones, etc. I'd really like to see an emulator do completely accurate emulation instead of this hack job shit everyone started out with to make them run faster. It's not 1998 anymore. Shouldn't N64 games be able to run decent on our 3ghz multi core rigs with 1 gig video cards without the need for so many half-assed workarounds and tweaks in the video plugins?

microdev

I really think it's time someone dealt with the games that still don't run in anything; Star Wars Naboo, Indiana Jones, etc. I'd really like to see an emulator do completely accurate emulation instead of this hack job shit everyone started out with to make them run faster. It's not 1998 anymore. Shouldn't N64 games be able to run decent on our 3ghz multi core rigs with 1 gig video cards without the need for so many half-assed workarounds and tweaks in the video plugins?

Right said! - so, Viper187666, when can we expect the first version of your universal plugin?

EDIT:
(I hope everybody understood the sarcasm of my post...)

Last edited:

Richard42

Emulator Developer
If you're interested in trading off speed or performance requirements for accuracy and compatibility, the best way to do that is use low-level emulation for the RSP. We currently have an issue being tracked on google code to add an LLE interface to the API in Mupen64Plus:

http://code.google.com/p/mupen64plus/issues/detail?id=311

Any developers knowledgeable about the low-level workings of the N64 are invited to take a look at the test code and help us make this work. If we get a good stable LLE interface then I will work to make it thread-safe and run the RSP in a separate thread.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)

You miss the point here. When there is no documentation people have to reverse engineer. The more complicated something is, the harder and more time consuming is to reverse engineer it.
This is how N64 emulation progressed through all these years since there is some major lack of documentation even now.
This is the case for the games you mentioned. No one is willing to go through a time consuming mess just to get a couple of games working.

Zuzma

Honestly I totally agree with the original poster here other then how much of an ass he sounds like. It's nice that you're at least willing to try to fix the problems Richard42. Most people seem to have given up working on the N64 which I think is terrible. Also if anyone cares there's an emulator called XE at least from the screenshots posted in his WIP page it looks a bit more advanced then the mess / mame LLE N64 driver.

http://www.xe-emulator.com/index.php?m=status

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
Also if anyone cares there's an emulator called XE at least from the screenshots posted in his WIP page it looks a bit more advanced then the mess / mame LLE N64 driver.
http://www.xe-emulator.com/index.php?m=status
Impressive, especially with this line from About "Xe is an original emulator written from scratch by one person. It is not a port or collection of other emulators."
As for the original post, if you need "completely accurate emulation" - MAME/MESS/Xe is your choice. You will not get completely accurate hardware-accelerated graphics. And just complete hardware-accelerated graphics without hacks too. But one point is true: LLE is the only way to get remaining games emulated.