What's new

Help with ROM types

shuriken

What is the difference between a GD-Rom file, a Cartridge file, and a Decrypted Rom, and how will it affect my chances of actually being able to play a game without loads of faffing around first?

I notice theres as many GD roms (game drive?, game disc?), as there is Cartridges. Which type is easier to load/get hold of?

Also, when I click load Decrypted rom, it asks me to load a BIN file (disk image?), all of my games are in BIN format, yet all of them say "ERROR 02, Game is not acceptable in main board"

I read somewhere that Error-02 means your using the wrong bios, but I've tried all of them, except NAOMI DEV (freezes the computer), or any of the NAOMI 2 bioses (for obvious reasons)

I'd really appreciate if somebody could shed some light on this.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nologic

Okay settle down with the posting...I was actually looking at "trying" to do some sort of into to Demul even though I'm no expert.

GD-Rom: means Giga Disc Read Only Memory\Media; these are optical disc's like CD's\DVD's; With in the emulation community these are typically archived as ether GDI's or CHD's; GDI's are a multi-file & index file representation of the optical disc; CHD's are compressed binary versions of the optical discs.

Cartridges: are PCB's with mounted ROMs attached and enclosed in a protective shell; With in the emulation community these are typically archived as single or multi-file binary dumps of the rom(s) attached to the PCB.

Decrypted: basically means that ether a GD-Rom or Cartridge has its encryption removed, so that the game data is now unprotected; With decrypted roms I've noticed slightly faster load times, less audio corruption, more constant FPS...not a earth shattering difference but a mildly marked difference all the same.

Cart vs GD-Rom: both are just as easy\difficult to find however since Carts are typically way smaller they are more likely to be found through out the internet; far as loading...Carts load faster as they are smaller; Keep in mind that some games are only available in one format or the other.

When loading a decrypted rom file extension doesn't matter but BIN is typically used. BIN is short for Binary...which could be anything.

Error-01 is typically wrong BIOS system.
Error-02 is typically wrong BIOS region.
CAUTION 51 is typically wrong player count.
CAUTION 54 is typically wrong monitor orientation.

Keep in mind certain games have specialized BIOS just for them.

I have heard but not tried...that Naomi 2 BIOS can be used with Naomi 1 games...while this may or may not be actually possible...I'd advise against doing it.