What's new

DDR ram--Cross Compatable with all 2100 too 3000+?

Josep

eyerun4phun
is it true that you can run like a stick of ddr ram clocked at say, 2400, and then run ram clocked at say 3200? I've heard a few websites say this, but i haven't heard any clear evidence, nyone know where i can find out more about this or if it works?

Eagle

aka Alshain
Hes thinking PC3200 DDR Ram vs PC2400 DDR Ram. Joseph, what I think they are trying to tell you is that you can have a stick of PC2400 DDR and a stick of PC3000 DDR in the same machine at the same time without a problem. It used to be that different memory speeds were incompatible and you could not keep PC100 and PC133 memory in the same machine at the same time without overclocking/overheating the PC100 memory. So yes the PC3200 will run at its maximum speed and no lower, and the PC2100 will run at its maximum speed and no higher. Thus no overheating or overclocking is not occuring in the system memory and your memory will not burn.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Slougi said:
Errr.... Come again?

No ram is clocked at 3200 :p
Current regular DDR runs at 133 (266) Mhz.

Your wrong, PC3200 is capable of up to 400Mhz.

[EDIT] See I have proof below [/EDIT]

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, me thinks the most common is whichever is the best price per value, which yes, is currently the 2100 (266) DDR. But if the price on the 2400 came down $10 then it would quickly become more popular.

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
yea, right now i have a stick of 256 ddr pc2400, i'm going to want to update soon and i was just wondering if it made a difference, just like with sdram, nyways;)

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
WRONG!

*ALL* ram (PC2100,2400,2700,3200) will only run as high as your MOBO supports.. FSB-wise. PC3200 is not gonna run @ 400MHZ in a MOBO using the KT266 chipset, nor in a KT333 chipset. It will only run that fast in a KT400 chipset (soon to be released) or in a computer that has an OC'd fsb of 200 (DDR will make it 400). Some mobos (ie the KT333 set) will let you have a FSB of 133 (266DDR) and run a ratio 4:5 so the mem runs at 166 (333DDR). Of course.. intel's works the same way but they use RDRAM which is quad-pumped :) (ie. there 133 FSB = 533 FSB)

So yes the PC3200 will run at its maximum speed and no lower, and the PC2100 will run at its maximum speed and no higher.

It wont run at maximum speed, it will run at the speed the mobo is set to run it at. Mixing speed ratings is NOT a good idea. Buying expensive PC3200 - rated ram isnt worth it yet. nor would buying PC2400 ram make an improvement in a computer with a FSB of 133 mhz: thats why the stuff isnt popular..

-Angechu

Eagle

aka Alshain
Re: WRONG!

Angechu said:
It wont run at maximum speed, it will run at the speed the mobo is set to run it at.

Yes, it will only run as fast as your mobo supports, but assuming, you have a mobo that will run at the highest possible, it can still run slower memory at its proper speeds.

Angechu said:
Mixing speed ratings is NOT a good idea. Buying expensive PC3200 - rated ram isnt worth it yet. nor would buying PC2400 ram make an improvement in a computer with a FSB of 133 mhz: thats why the stuff isnt popular.

Not true anymore, newer motherboards can mix memory sticks with different speeds and run both of them at their maximum speed WITHOUT OVERCLOCKING (if the motherboard supports their maximum speed). Of course you have to have one of these motherboards for it to work, but that was what this whole conversation is about.

Angechu

Computer wizard :)
umm

Link me to a mobo that will run ram at two different speeds at the same time. If you put PC1600 & PC2100 ram together, its gonna run at PC1600..

-Angechu

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, none of them are available yet, but If you keep up with the computer news, you would know they are currently in being developed. Joseph was refering to an article he read.